Day 18 underdeveloped?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tomflock, Nov 4, 2015.

1. tomflock

tomflock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2015
    Ozark mo
    Some of my chicks seem too small in the egg but still moving and others are full but can't see movement also the air sacs seem to be a bit too small humidity was a bit high the first 11 days. Still air little giant with no auto turner and manually turned 3 times a day

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

If they seem under developed, that points to your temps being low over the average. Make sure that any thermometers you are using are checked for accuracy, (and I strongly suggest having 2 independent therms in bator). If you are using the 9300, they are notorious for the gages being off and most users have to set the bator 1-3 degrees higher to get the needed temps inside. Never trust bator gages unless they've been checked.

Personally if you are home to monior frequently, I would run dry with no water until I heard a cheeping inside the egg or saw an external pip and I would hatch upright in cut down cartons if the air cells are significantly small. If the development is behind you can probably get the air cells significantly larger before there is any action of hatching.

3. tomflock

Nov 3, 2015
    Ozark mo

4. tomflock

Nov 3, 2015
    Ozark mo
    Got ya thanks yeah I have 3 thermometers and 4 hygrometers in there and none read the same. I have them in lockdown now is it okay to open and put them in cartons? Humidity is approx 60%

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yes, if they are behind developmentally I wouldn't expect to see anything happen until a couple days after hatch day. I would still run dry for a day or two to increase air cell size though.

6. tomflock

Nov 3, 2015
    Ozark mo
    Wow what did I do posted like 5 times ok I'm brand new here sorry

7. tomflock

Nov 3, 2015
    Ozark mo
    Ok well they're in cartons as of yesterday afternoon and humidity is at 30% but I'm kinda freakin out with it being day 20 and all. How long should I leave the humidity at that level? Also temp was a bit low so I raised that up too

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If they are behind developmentally I don't think you have anything to worry about. I would either leave it down until air cell size increases or you have your first pip. As long as you get it raised when you get a pip all should be fine. When they pip, usually you will see the bump and crack to the shell, just get the water in there and get it raised before the chick makes prgress (Which is normally hours after pip.) I would candle after running dry for a day and see if the air cells have improved. If they have then go ahead and raise humidity then. If you have extremely small air cells you have a higher chance of loosing the chicks to drowning and being DIS than having a problem by waiting to up humidity until there is a pip-unless it progresses to the zip before it's highered and then it could cause issues.

9. tomflock

Nov 3, 2015
    Ozark mo
    Day 21 my eggs are alive and moving but not hatching yet my temps were low like 96 for the first 19 days how long do you think it's gonna be? Silkie and polish eggs I figured the silkies would have been pipping by now at least

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I wouldn't expect anything before day 22/23. My silkies have never hatched any faster than the rest. 3 degrees low is definitely enough to throw them off a couple days. My first hatch my thermometer was off by 6 degrees. I only had one out 17 that hatched and survived and he hatched day 24. I had a day 25 hatcher that died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by