DAY 18 !!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, May 1, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Although, I have one that is day 17. I have been watching my chicken eggs today and I see that a few of them are doing the rocking thing. Shaking even. One of those being the day 17 egg. Does that mean that egg will hatch early? I was told not to raise the humidity etc until late tonight because of the day 17 egg. Any other advice, or does everyone agree with the advice I got. I'm anxious to raise the humidity, put my eggs in a carton and get started with this. I am a pretty patient person so watching and waiting for hours(after the first pip) will be nothing to me. I will let nature take it's course....but of course I will be bursting inside(already am)

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    How come one is day 17 and the rest are day 18? Did you put one in a day later?

3. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Yes, I put 5 more in the day after,but unfortunately only one was fertile. So, that one is day 17 and seems just as active as the others and just as big. When I make sqeaking noises next to the bator, the day 17 eggs responds by shaking.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I am totally going to start speaking chicken to my eggs. I talk to them...how old do they have to be to move the egg around?

5. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I'm not sure, this is my first hatch. I heard that some chicks will chirp while in their egg in response to outside noises( us whistling at them. Isn't that cool? I wish mine would chirp...maybe tomorrow!

6. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    This is my first too! It is so exciting. I cant quit candling. Seeing them is so cool. Mine are about the size of a popcorn shrimp. Day9...I cant wait. I'm so impatient!

7. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I'm with you on that. You think you're impatient now and excited,wait until it's only a few days before hatching. I am going insane!!!! I'm usually a very patient person...but with this..no way. I am so excited I could pee my pants....oops sorry.

8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Yes, I put 5 more in the day after,but unfortunately only one was fertile. So, that one is day 17 and seems just as active as the others and just as big. When I make sqeaking noises next to the bator, the day 17 eggs responds by shaking.

I would think you should count the days by the ones you put in first because there are more of them and you don't want to loose them. Good luck and wait until day 20, it never, never, never, ends. LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good luck

9. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada

I would think you should count the days by the ones you put in first because there are more of them and you don't want to loose them. Good luck and wait until day 20, it never, never, never, ends. LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good luck

Thanks for the advice, haha I don't want to lose any of them. Well, it is now 10:40pm...getting closer to midnight. I am anxious to get them going now. haha do you think if I did it now they'd all be ok?

10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Sorry I went to bed. Did you put them in the bator at midnight? I put my eggs in a 6pm then 18 days later I put the humidity up at 6pm. This was only my second hatching so that’s all I know. Good luck. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by