Day 18!!!!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by tonstevens, Feb 23, 2014.

1. tonstevens

tonstevens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Today is day 18 for my hatch but I'm not sure if my eggs are ready. They haven't filled up the hole egg should I give them a couple more days before I go on lockdown?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    No, go ahead. They will not fill up the whole egg. The air cell at the top will remain clear.

Don’t get too hung up on the Day 21 thing either. It’s not unusual for eggs to hatch a couple of days early or late due to a whole lot of different things. But for your first hatch stay on schedule so you know what to adjust next time.

You are counting the days right aren’t you? You’d be surprised at how many people get that wrong. An egg doesn’t have 24 hour’s worth of development the day it is set in the incubator or put under a broody. It takes until the next day before you can say 1. An easy way to check your counting is that the day of the week you set them is the day of the week they should hatch. If you set them on Tuesday, they should hatch on a Tuesday for chicken eggs.

But that is just theoretical. They can easily be days early or late. Good luck with it.

3. tonstevens

Dec 31, 2013
    Thank you!!! Yes my days are right but I have a couple that seem to be a day ahead of the others is this normal ?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, that is perfectly normal. Again, lots of reasons for that. Most of my hatches are over within 24 hours but I have had some that drug on for over two days.

5. tonstevens

Dec 31, 2013
    Ok thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by