Day 19. 1 chick and 4 pips. Hooray!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, May 11, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    This is the best Mother's Day gift ever. I thought they looked like they were developing fast when I candled. I went to check temp today and was shocked to see an early baby! A silkie! It's just hangin out in the egg carton tellin the other babies to come play. I have 1 dominique egg pipped. 2 tiny eggs (more silkies I hope) and one big light brown egg that might be BO. I can't believe they are coming early. This rocks. I was so afraid with all the temp and humidity fluctuations in the LG that I'm using and all the first time hatcher nerves, but I have a very cute noisy chick and more on the way! Thanks for the eggs Kayla! I'll post a bunch of pics Monday. So far loving the egg carton and dry incubating methods. Working great. How long does the air in the air sack last? They dont have their beaks all the way out so I wondered how long they can breathe like that before they get a hole all the way thru. Anyone know? I'll keep y'all updated!

2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Well, I finally can say mine is hatched- the one that is...started this early early morning about 5:30 a.m. and is now flopping around the incubator.
    I still have one with a hole in it- I can see the beak.The other one, my only white one- still is a semi pip with membrane covering it. The membrane isnt dry though, so it has either died, or it is absorbing its yolk.

Then I have three that are doing nothing. [​IMG]

Day 20.... Vamp-a-Billy, are you setting any more? It has been fun going through this with you. I have eggs on Day 3, I believe, and on Day 11, and I just ordered Quail eggs and also I have six show girl eggs coming at some point. (I paid- havent heard anything yet).

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I am so glad we've been going through this together. It's been great. Glad you got one out! What kind are they again?
    Knitting a "support bra" for Norma Jean's chick Goldie (who has a crop injury) and legwarmers for Slike's roo while I wait.

4. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I dont know what kind I have. They were from Meyer hatchery- mixed layers. Or heavy laying..something like that. It was THREE whole weeks ago. (actually five-had to wait for them to ship replacements after the disaster from the post office)....

the chick that is out is yellow (looks yellow while wet) with white/bluish legs. It came out of a big light brown egg.

I have another light brown egg with a beak, and a white egg that i think killed itself because the membrane is now bright red.

Mystery chicks.

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Cool. We can help eachother figure out what kind of chicks we have too. I have some crazy mixes. I have a dominique w a pretty good pip. I think another silkie w a lil pip an egg even smaller than the silkie w a pip and a big light brown egg w a pip maybe a BO. This is so fun. I must get more eggs. Showgirls sound cool. I thought they were ugly at first but now I kinda want one.

6. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    2 chicks 5 pips. Got a black silkie! She made it all the way out at around 1220am. How is everyone else's hatch going? Did you fall asleep on me?

7. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Oooh, how exciting. I have never incubated eggs before but had a broody hatch out eggs and I was bugging her constantly to see what kind of progress. Congratulations on your two little silkies! [​IMG]

8. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I don' t know how much longer I can stay awke. Gotta get the temp back up and take a nap. For some reason it's down to 97.2. Whatever. I hate reading this thermometer. Apparently the babies are fine. I see a beak and about 3 eggs that are gonna start going anytime. I may just have to wake up to new babies. Zzzzzzzzzzz.

9. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Yep. I fell asleep on you...thought for sure I would wake up with three babies..but NOPE. Still just the one that already hatched, a beak and the same membrane covered pip...WHY??

This makes me crazy. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have to work all day too...that will make me crazy. Good luck Vamp-a-Billy..I hope you wake up to oodles of babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by