Day 19-20 (lockdown) chick issues (with pics) help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by morganalefae, Apr 2, 2018.

1. morganalefae

morganalefae Head nut at the nut house

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    Ok chicks are on day 19-20 I know it's one of the 2 I put the chicks in lockdown yesterday but I was worried about 2 eggs can anyone enlighten me on what is going on? I'm ready to pull them just to protect the other 11 eggs.

Egg 1 below is moving but something is just not right with the way it looks

Attached Files:

2. morganalefae

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    Egg 2 is not moving and I'm sure it's dead and needs to be taken out now before it blows up

Attached Files:

3. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry to be a bit slow here, are the first pics all of the same egg? Egg no. 1? It looks pretty good to me and if it is moving around it may just be a little bit delayed. Was your incubation temp where it should be during the first 18 days? No. 2 does not look so good and if not moving, then I would remove it. It looks like it quit around day 14 IMHO but I am far from an expert at knowing the age of development.

4. morganalefae

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    Yes all the pics in first post is egg one. I'm worried it maybe stuck to on side of the shell.

5. morganalefae

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    Also yes the temp was 37.5c all the way even now it says 37.5c

6. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    OK so the inevitable questions that are coming your way are about the calibration of both your hygrometer and thermometer. Were you using just the instruments that are on your incubator or using independent calibrated ones? If your incubator was turning the eggs or you were turning them regularly, I doubt that the chick is stuck to one side of the egg. Wait this one out and see for a day or so, that's what I would do. Are the other eggs in the bator starting to hatch?

7. morganalefae

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    Was going with what my brinsea said as I could not find my digital hydrometer and thermometer I turned them by hand at lest 3 times a day plus all these eggs were set on the same day. And no not yet I thought I heard like a tapping noise and checked on it looks like it's head was near or in the air cell.

8. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Any pips yet?

9. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Oops, it's really, really late in Jolly Old England, talk to you in the morning!:smack

10. morganalefae

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    Looks like my tiny lol silkie x Brahma x Brahma has pipped:celebrate. I don't think the others are to far off the one egg tho defo has to be dead the other hell idk maybe deformed? As the hubby just told me this morning. That he saw a temp spike and took the lid off the bator to cool em down.. if so it seems to be the only effected

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: