Day 19 A Pip!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Foghorn, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I just checked the bator after a bit of cheeping and There it was....A Pip at day 19. [​IMG] Could I be early? Or is it normal to have a pip on day 19. This is my first attempt at hatching. This really is nerve racking, but so exciting.

After recalculating. I have figured that I did not count the first day as day 1. Therefore I am dead on. Day 21 as of today 4/13/07

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  2. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Oh, I have every idea of what you mean. Day 21 for me, two chicks hatched so far (when I swore noone would hatch because of a temp spike!), one little bitty pip!

Hm... It could happen on day 19, if the temp was too high for some time. Any activity? Or just a single pip? (I had one that pipped before 3;30 am, but didn't hatch till 3:30/4:00)

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Sometimes they are in a big rush but are no where near ready to be out in the world. My last day 19 I left for two days. At that point the others were hatching but since that peep was in such a huge hurry it ended up stuck and I had to help it out.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Very cool fog horn. I'm so excited for you.

5. Foghorn

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    2 pips!
    [​IMG]

6. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Yay!! Keep updating!!

7. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Congrats Foghorn, Zim. Yes, seems to be normal. I had one pip and hatch late day 19. Coul've had the temp in the bator a tad bit high. But it sounds about right.

8. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Alright! [​IMG] How many eggs did you say you had in there?
    I'm so excited to hear how this goes for you so keep us posted!! [​IMG]

9. Foghorn

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hey Mudhen! The incubator has worked flawlessly.

One Ameraucana has hatched! 5 more eggs have pipped! A couple Silver Laced Wyandottes have pipped. I set 25 eggs. This is ,as you know, my first attempt at hatching, so I am not experienced at candling. I have kept all of the eggs in the incubator, just in case. I didn't want to toss any based on a guess.
    I'm not getting much sleep, thats for sure![​IMG]
    Update
    Hatched: 3 Ameraucana
    Pipped: 3 Ameraucana
    2 SLW

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Foghorn.....woohoo! Thats great!! Can you get pics? Im so eggsited for you. Mine are only on day 7. Ohhhh, the waite is hard....14 days to go! I candled about 5 of the 27....all well on the egg front! LOL Now...waiting..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by