Day 19 and 2 pips... Isn't it too early???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by willkatdawson, Mar 25, 2011.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I've got a broody on 9 eggs and this afternoon we saw that 2 of the 9 eggs had a pip in the shell. It's only day 19, I wasn't thinking they would come until Sat or Sun. Isn't it too early?

2. jamespet

jamespet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Youngsville,NC
    I'm on day 19 also and I had one hatch around 4:00 pm
    And another one pip

3. madrooster

madrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    villa rica ,ga
    alot of people have chics hatch on day 18 and 19 just depends on the chick, temp,humidity,bu teveryone i know says its normal and there chics are fine.[​IMG]

4. chiknranchr

chiknranchr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Il
    I also have chicks due on sunday and today (day 19) I had one pip,I think it should be o.k.[​IMG]

5. jamespet

Sep 12, 2010
    Youngsville,NC
    I have four out now and there steadily coming

6. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I find that eggs under a broody are more prompt or even early than with an incubator. Not sure why that is, though. Once a Delaware pullet hatched under my blue Orp broody and was running all over the place on Day 19 while mama kept sitting on the other eggs for another day.

8. jamespet

Sep 12, 2010
    Youngsville,NC
    Eight out of eighteen so far they are looking good

9. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I think the problem is that birds have very high body temperatures, say about 105 degrees. Their bellies are quite warm, but the eggs won't be kept at exactly 105 under them. They are technically still-air incubators, so they probably get the eggs to around 102 degrees. We generally check temperature in our incubators by checking air temperature, not the temperature that the egg would be, although water wigglers apparently can help with that. So we are probably incubating our eggs at rather low temperatures.

Edit: Just did some reading and apparently chickens have body temperatures of about 102-103. The smaller the bird, the higher the body temperature. Which would make sense, but some birds have temperatures as high as 112, so I wonder how high those eggs should be incubated! Confusing...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  10. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    We've got 6 healthy chicks. But, we're in a holding pattern here. Waiting for the 2 EE eggs and the 1 Maran egg to hatch. I really am getting worried. They haven't even piped yet. The first chick piped Friday afternoon and was born Friday morning during the night time, so it's almost 2 days old. I candled the blue eggs on day 15 and the 4 I left in the nest were developing. What's going on????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by