Day 19 and an egg is cracked but not from pipping??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Jul 14, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    It is day 19 in my incubator, and I noticed that an egg is cracked about an inch across but not from pipping. I ignored the rule and quickly grabbed it from the bator and re-sealed it at once to check this out...If I put pressure on the egg, you can see the crack widen a little. No smell from the egg. The egg is a dark brown so I can't tell from candling if there is definite movement but the embryo seems to be the correct size for the date...no peeping. What would you do? I'm afraid to leave it in bator because I don't want an exploded rotten mess, but I don't want to remove it for fear it is really alive...what to do???[​IMG]

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If it was me, and I'm not saying to do this, I would be carefully widening the crack to see what is going on inside. I use a push pin to break tiny pieces of shell off from areas (and I use a push pin because it was the first pointy little object I had on hand the first time I ever helped a chick hatch, not because it's ideal for helping). I just had one with a strange crack/pip that I widened... living chick inside that had managed to pip the outside without pipping the inside membrane!

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I decided to do as you had done...egg was beyond rotten...shew....glad as all get out that I got it out before it exploded. If you read another response of mine to another thread, you would see that I accidentally dropped my bator back on day 6 and killed 6 right away doing so. This embryo looked to be about day 6 gestation, so I think it was, unfortunately, a result of my clumsiness. Keep your fingers crossed that the other 11 are still viable...[​IMG]

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    *Really* good thing you got it out!

[​IMG] Fingers crossed for your chickies! I think I had read that someone dropped a bator, didn't know it was you though. Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by