Day 19 and low temp!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SundownWaterfowl, May 9, 2008.

1. Yesterday was day 18 so I took the chicken eggs out of the turner and put them back in the Hovabator 1620N. I check the temperature and it is 97 degrees. Could that have hurt the unhatched chicks? [​IMG]

The incubator was a constant 99-100 degrees the first 18 days. Then as soon as I remove the turner it is lower. I think because the turner held in the warmth and since it was gone it gets cooler. right? So i adjusted the temp, well see.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Songster

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    They will be fine, the motor from the turner also produces heat so that happens often. Happy hatching, Jenn

3. Okay. That is what I got to thinking, the motor producing heat. Thanks

4. CindyS

CindyS Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    The turner holds the eggs higher and when you take the turner out the eggs are in a lower area which is cooler in a still air incubator:)btw it wont hurt them at all to be a little low temp for a while!

5. I cant wait for them to pip. Hopefully when I get up in the morning I will have some pips, or even a chick. Bantams sometimes hatch on day 20, a day earlier than the standard breeds. I have silkies, sebrights (silver), and mixed bantam eggs in there. I am so exicted. I will update if I get any pips tomorrow.

6. qnzchoe7

qnzchoe7 In the Brooder

May 9, 2008
    THIS IS ACTUALLY VERY GOOD!!!!!!! The reason being is because the tchig chicks* actually make their own heat! at about 3/4 fo of the time, you must turn the tme temperature down! This will be a very GOOD hatch.

Please do not spam!

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  7. Day 20- and no pips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by