1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 19 and power is out!!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BLaBauve, Sep 12, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I'm on day 19 and our power just went out! We heard a loud boom and then it went out. I know not to open the incubator - but how long do I have until I'm in serious trouble???

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    run out and get some hand warmers that will help with the heat til it comes back on

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Good idea! But where do you get hand warmers this time of year???

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sporting goods stores, Walmart, should have them. Your vehicle warms up lots in the sun. You could carefully sit the bator in the car till the power comes back. Don't plug up the air holes, though.

5. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for the great suggestions! It's up to 97 in the sun outside. Heading to walmart now!

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

If you're going to Walmart anyway, buy a power converter that you can stick into your car's cigarette lighter. Then you can plug your incubator into it and use your car's battery to run the incubator until the emergency is over.

7. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I've already left walmart - but I will get that for my next crisis!

8. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Don't panic...
    Just cover the incubator with a blanket to keep the heat in.
    Your power will be back on soon. Probably by the time you get back from the store.
    Momma hen leaves the nest all the time. Its the internal egg temp that matters.
    I don't believe that an hour or so will have any negative effects. Relax

9. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thank you! The power was out for 2 hours. I mainly used natural sunlight to keep the heat up. I'm still hopeful for a good hatch! I know my broody hen used to leave her nest for several hours somedays.

10. onemotherslove

onemotherslove Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    North Central Texas
    My power went out on day 9 - for 14 hours!!! Hatch day was supposed to be Tuesday, 9/14, and one of them hatched yesterday! Just keeping my fingers crossed on the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by