Day 19- do I take the dividers out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by srose2, Jul 8, 2011.

1. srose2

srose2 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    York Springs, PA
    I have 13 eggs in a Brinsea advanced- today is day 19. About 1/2 bantam silkies, 1/2 cochin bantams. I took the incubator out of the turning tray and turned up the humidity ( to 60%?). Do I take out the dividers now? It seems like I should so the chicks have more room to hatch. These are pet chicks so no need to know which chick came from which egg. Thanks for any help. Stacey

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I use egg trays to hatch the eggs

I think you have plenty of room in there

and you should remove the dividers

3. chickenjoefan

chickenjoefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Western Isles, Scotland
    yes. i use a brinsea too and i always take the dividers out.

take them out, lock it up and try and keep busy. [​IMG]

Good luck the brinseas are brilliant. try not to open it till they have all hatched.

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I take the dividers out of my Brinsea too.

5. srose2

May 4, 2011
    York Springs, PA
    Thank you, I did take out the dividers. One chick has hatched! He pipped and popped out 1 1/2 days early!. Only one other one has pipped... I am crazy because I arranged to have off of work sunday and monday- now I have to work tomorrow and I will likely miss all the action! [​IMG]

6. srose2

May 4, 2011
    York Springs, PA
    Ohhh no! I am soooooo dumb! I just realized that today is day 20! I had the humidity low and the turner going for one extra day... will that cause problems and if so can I do anything at this point? I guess I was thinking of the day I set the eggs as day 0 as oppossed to day 1... now I guess I will be up all night watching those eggs!

7. chickenjoefan

chickenjoefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Western Isles, Scotland
    don't panic. some people do count the first day as day zero and sometimes they come early sometimes they are late. you have to do the hardest bit now, just sit back and wait without interfering. sometimes its good when they come early and you have to work cos it means you have to leave them to get on with it. Mine did extactly the same thing last week - i was useless at work!

don't worry about the humidity either as long as it is plenty humid while they are hatching as that's when they get stuck. have faith in your brinsea they are great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by