Day 19 ! First timer

Lmfletcher

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hello,

I’m new here and have been following the forum for years but never posted. You all seem so lovely so hoping for some advice and reassurance.

i currently have 6 eggs in my mini Brinsea eco and we are on day 19! candled every few days cause I’m paranoid and always need to know they are ok. All candled up to evening of 17th as they started rocking on 16th, read also online bantams could hatch earlier so locked down on 18th. All eggs moving and active.

eggs still seem to be moving but a lot less so assuming they are in position or just getting comfy for their big day.

cant see any pips or hear any chirping , the Brinsea is very loud and the garden birds are loud so hard to tell if there is any little chirps or not.

the eggs themselves , there pores seem to be more defined now and were the air sacs are there’s faint speckles.

its very intense waiting for one of them to pip , I have loved the process but I do over think 🤔 about little things,

thanks for listening to me , my partner is very laid back so nice to read other peoples experiences on here :)

Hello,

I’m new here and have been following the forum for years but never posted. You all seem so lovely so hoping for some advice and reassurance.

i currently have 6 eggs in my mini Brinsea eco and we are on day 19! candled every few days cause I’m paranoid and always need to know they are ok. All candled up to evening of 17th as they started rocking on 16th, read also online bantams could hatch earlier so locked down on 18th. All eggs moving and active.

eggs still seem to be moving but a lot less so assuming they are in position or just getting comfy for their big day.

cant see any pips or hear any chirping , the Brinsea is very loud and the garden birds are loud so hard to tell if there is any little chirps or not.

the eggs themselves , there pores seem to be more defined now and were the air sacs are there’s faint speckles.

its very intense waiting for one of them to pip , I have loved the process but I do over think 🤔 about little things,

thanks for listening to me , my partner is very laid back so nice to read other peoples experiences on here :)

I just hatched in a Brinsea Mini Advanced - 6/7 were fertile and all of these hatched with pips only visible starting the morning of Day 21 and the hatching happening between the evening of Day 21 and the afternoon of Day 22. I was overthinking it too, but all turned out well. I was waiting so anxiously from Day 19 onward as we saw no movement after that morning.

I just hatched in a Brinsea Mini Advanced - 6/7 were fertile and all of these hatched with pips only visible starting the morning of Day 21 and the hatching happening between the evening of Day 21 and the afternoon of Day 22. I was overthinking it too, but all turned out well. I was waiting so anxiously from Day 19 onward as we saw no movement after that morning.

thank you so much for a reply ! I am terrible for overthinking , you just start thinking the worst but Im hopeful. Could you hear any chirping with your Brinsea?

thank you so much for a reply ! I am terrible for overthinking , you just start thinking the worst but Im hopeful. Could you hear any chirping with your Brinsea?

I didn't hear any peeping until the first externally pipped, and even after that there wasn't too much. The Brinsea is pretty loud. Some chicks peep more when they hatch and others less so I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.

The only thing I’m concerned about is these faint grey spots on the eggs, mainly were the air sacs are. Iv been scouring the internet and forums to find anything similar But nothing :/ picture is hard to see. The eggs were perfect looking when they went in, but little speckles have come out on the eggs, and then this patching. I’m assuming it’s maybe the humidity to low but with the Brinsea there’s not much way of controlling it. On the fresh laid eggs from the same hen there are the grey spots as well but not as obvious. Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• A95E4ED0-E597-4410-9C90-CF996030169A.jpeg
    A95E4ED0-E597-4410-9C90-CF996030169A.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 1
The only thing I’m concerned about is these faint grey spots on the eggs, mainly were the air sacs are. Iv been scouring the internet and forums to find anything similar But nothing :/ picture is hard to see. The eggs were perfect looking when they went in, but little speckles have come out on the eggs, and then this patching. I’m assuming it’s maybe the humidity to low but with the Brinsea there’s not much way of controlling it. On the fresh laid eggs from the same hen there are the grey spots as well but not as obvious. Any thoughts ?

I wouldn't know about the grey spots as I haven't encountered that myself. The chicks do use calcium from the eggshells so that could be some of it. You can control humidity in a Brinsea (it just takes being creative). Use a hygrometer and sponges or wet paper towel to increase or decrease as needed. I found my batch hatched perfectly without any needed adjustments and even though I ran humidity a bit high during the hatch - nice big healthy chicks that didn't need any help out of their shells.

Sorry for all the questions, to increase humidity you would put a warm or cold paper towel, like kitchen roll, in the incubator? There’s not any condensation in mine either. Not sure if that’s right or wrong 🤷🏼‍♀️🤔

Always use a warm paper towel. I would be careful fooling around with humidity unless you know what it is in the incubator. For my hatch I simply filled both wells as instructed and only had humidity around the rim of the incubator where it meets the outside air (not inside). You'll get condensation once the chicks start hatching. Whether or not you have to adjust humidity will depend on the ambient humidity of where you live too - I'm in Nova Scotia where it's at least 70% humidity outside right now (and high in the house too) so I didn't need any extra. If you're in a desert or dry area you might.

So we are on the Yorkshire coast in England ! My apple weather app is telling me the humidity is 63% outside, the inside is just a good average temp, not to cold or not And the room the bator is in , is just a consistent temp. i won’t so anything with the humidity then. Thank you so Much for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom