1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 19 Hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sugarbeatco, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Sugarbeatco

Sugarbeatco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    I know I didn't miscount my days, and alas, we have cornish x Buff Orp walking around in the bator stirring up all kinds of action with the other eggs.. My question is, will my 1st chook be ok for a couple days in there or do I need to break the "lockdown" seal to get him in the brooder in a day or 2? How long does he have until he needs food and water? Never had one hatch this early before! All incubated eggs were collected on the same day. Also my humidity was holding at %65 until he hatched and suddenly Im at 85-90%, the glass immediately fogged over, its been about an hour now and hes already almost dry, but the level is holding.. What do? I have one plug out and the other in, its a farm innovators model bator..

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    From what I understand they can stay in for a day or so... I have left the first one in for a bit, seems to help the others hatch hearing it chirping... They do not need to eat or drink for either two or three days, so if you want leave it.. I have broken the lockdown seal to remove an unruly hatch before, as long as there are no external pips and you do it quick it will be fine.

3. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Oh and the spike in humidity is normal, it will reduce when the chick dries... I had a middle of the night hatch, woke up to many hatched (cant remember I know I posted it somewhere on the forum) but when I woke up they were all dry and the humidity was back to normal high (for lockdown) No telling what it was with so many chicks hatching, try taking the other plug out

4. Sugarbeatco

Jun 10, 2013
    Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I have 2 more pips as well !! He's a good hatching coach..

5. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Yea!!!! [​IMG]

Mine are heading into day 3 tomorrow.... I got a long wait..

Post pics when you can, some folks say it aint happening if you don't post pictures of them lol

6. Sugarbeatco

Jun 10, 2013
    [​IMG]
    It happened!! lol

7. Sugarbeatco

Jun 10, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Quite vocal little chook, hes got the whole crew rollin around and I can hear little muffled chirps all over the place.. Pretty awesome

8. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Ohhh its gonna be a long 18 days for me!!! I love seeing these sweet babies! Congrats!![​IMG]

9. Sugarbeatco

Jun 10, 2013
    Hey you never know, it could only be 15!! lol, Oh and Thanks you!! 4 pips now!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  10. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    So cute!!!!!

Congrats on the babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by