1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 19 HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brandy21410, Apr 24, 2016.

1. brandy21410

brandy21410 Chillin' With My Peeps

its my first time incubating and I have a little giant stirafome still air incubator, Iam on day 19 now and have been on lock down scince day 18, but this morning I hear peeps and 2 of my eggs have pipped, and I can hear one peeping, but its been all day and they haven't unzipped the shell, should I assist the chick is LOUDLY peeping, and I am trying to not intervene, the other egg is pipping upside down so I used a wooded skewer to gently move it so it is on its side now, but no progress from that one, but I think it has broken the membrane, however I don't think the other one that is peeping loudly had broken it because I can see the beek but there is a clear film over it, is this okay?!? please help!!!! the humidity is 68 and the heat is 100.4

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Temp maybe a tid high but I would not touch it because you do not want it to go to low. It may take a while for them to zip all the way. There is no clear answer to the should I help question. Best of luck

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Temps are fine considering still air recommendations are 101-102.

It can take 24 hours for a chic to go from pip to zip. I try not to interfer for at least 18 hours, then I check them and unless there's something noticeably wrong, I give them till closer to 24 before starting an assist.

Are they out or made any progress now?

4. Autumnfae611

Autumnfae611 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    I had some of my chicks take all day to finally unzip, are they wiggling around at least?

5. brandy21410

Yes the 2 are out and peeping arround they both hatched yesterday in the evening, do u think i should leave the 2 that hatched in the incubator until the others hatch there still not fluffy yet? Or take them out nd put them under a light in the brooder? Thank u for ur help i appreciate it i have no idea what iam doing.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I take mine out and put them all in the brooder. They fluff up better under the brooder light for me because I run my humidity high at hatch time.

7. Autumnfae611

Autumnfae611 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    I do not take mine out till they are fluffy.... They help the other ones hatch.

8. brandy21410

Ok thats what i thought but its been like 16 hours and they are still not fluffy i think it is because of the humidity. It is pecking at the other eggs hard is that normal? Again thank u for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by