day 19, I think I smell a rotten egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Parson's Wife, May 16, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Today is 19, lifted lid to check water....and a stench is inside.
    Strong, but not overpowering. I candled on day 14, thought I saw only good eggs.
    How would I tell the rotten egg?
    Help....I don't want it to explode!

2. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Carefully pick up and smell each egg.....

3. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Yes,be careful!!. Do you see any weeping?

4. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    No, I have several that I dry brushed, in the beginning, that have manure on them. Not alot but more than I've ever hatched before...would the manure scent this badly...
    I don''t think so, but maybe?

I have 52 eggs

5. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:no, rotten eggs are very easy to smell. With only 52 eggs it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes and I suggest smelling each one to make sure you don't have more than one culprit....

6. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    thank you. I (we) have located the culprit. Just one to the best of my knowledge. It took me a minute to come say thanks...I've been barfing. It did not break, but my stomach lately has not been what it used to be.
    I'm pretty sure I killed it. The water level where the egg was, was touching the bottom of the egg. [​IMG]

Edited to add: I decided to add this in case someone else ever has the same problem.
    Wait just a minute before you begin smelling the eggs. Contained in the heated, moisture rich incubator, ALL the eggs smell rotten at first. Give the scent a short time to clear, then begin smelling. It will be VERY obvious when you encounter the egg, or eggs. And watch your water level! Do not let it touch your eggs!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by