Day 19 - Looks like only 2 of 14 eggs are wiggling. Is this okay??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JennyPatty84, Mar 30, 2017.

1. JennyPatty84

JennyPatty84 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    Hi Everyone!! =)

I am on day 19 of incubating 14 dark brahma eggs. I candled the eggs at day 7 and there was only one not fertile, so I threw that one out. Lockdown commenced yesterday, so my observations are coming from trying to peek in through the windows, but it appears as though only two eggs are wiggling. I don't know if this is a bad sign, or is it common that you won't see any movement? I also heard a little chirp! Eeek! Exciting!

Thanks so much!
    Jen =)

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Did you candle them on day 18? If not you should have. Did you increase the Humidity yesterday at lock-down? Some are slower at moving, some barely move!

3. JennyPatty84

Sep 6, 2016
    I didn't candle all of them, only a few. I was worried about them losing heat and didn't want to handle them too much. I did increase the humidity to 65%.

Thanks!! =)

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Forget what you have possibly read---it does not hurt to open the Incubator to add water or candle the first 18 days(for chickens) as long as you do not take a extremely long time. Some candle every day. Now in my opinion I would suggest if you are going to become a hands-on-hatcher(opening the incubator during the hatch/removing hatched chicks before the rest hatch, etc) you ask questions, learn so you will have better luck at that. I am a hands-off-hatcher and I would threaten to break arms if someone opens my incubator the last 3 days---during the hatch---I do add water if needed through a vent hole, etc---make sure everything is good. Unless all hatch before---I wait till day 22 to open and remove all hatched chicks at one time----I have a very high hatch rate. That's your call--but if you choose to open to "help" during the hatch---do ask questions from these Great hands-on-hatchers before opening. Good Luck

5. JennyPatty84

Sep 6, 2016
    Great news!! I guess they just weren't very wiggly! 8 hatched today and three more have pipped! :D :D

1 person likes this.
  6. JennyPatty84

Sep 6, 2016
    We ended up with 12 chicks from 14 eggs, not to shabby! They are cute little buggers!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by