Day 19 -- no rocking, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by williamsl77, Dec 26, 2011.

1. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Alright... just wondering if no rocking on Day 19 is normal? I have a variety of eggs in lockdown, silkies, barnevelders, an EE. They were all dark when candled yesterday. I saw a small amt of movement on some. I had humidity a little too high last night, but lowered it. Now it is in low 60s. Temp during switch to lockdown was a little low for a few minutes, but from understanding this isn't something to worry about. After taking turner out and getting eggs back in, it took a few hours to get it back up to 99, but it went back up to 97 pretty quickly.

Anyway.... is not rocking bad?

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    They are supposed to hatch on day 21. So yes, it's normal.
    97 isn't too low, so I don't think it would delay the hatch too much.
    Good luck, and happy hatching! [​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    You may never see the rocking if you're not staring at the eggs 24/7. It's the peeping and pecking that'll get your attention first.

4. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Thanks for your reply... I know hatch is Day 21. I was asking about rocking. I have read a lot of posts and it seems a lot of people see rocking as early as day 18. I was asking if I am supposed to see rocking at this point or if most people don't see rocking until closer to hatch.

Thanks.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Quote:X2 - exactly

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Bantams like Silkies usually hatch first because they are smaller and the egg heated up faster then the others, you might have them hatching on day 19 or 20. Not all eggs rock before they hatch, I usually see a pip before I see any signs of them rocking the egg. With the temp at 97 your hatch might be slightly delayed but it shouldn't kill any of the chicks. At this stage of development they can handle different temps compared to when they were at 1 week for example.

7. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Awesome! Thanks so much everyone!

No peeping yet and I have to work today, but I'm sure I'll nose pressed to incubator when I get home.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Just make sure you don't open it [​IMG]

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Wait, wait wait. What is this "NOT STARING AT EGGS 24/7"?! You mean some people actually go off and do other things, like sleep, eat, shower, interact with their families during the last two days? Seriously? Are they not devoted chicken parents?

10. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I've never seen any eggs rocking - on any day. Even when I had a great hatch - lots of peeping, pipping, zipping and hatching - but no rocking. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by