day 19---nothing---

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gapeachy, Apr 6, 2009.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    this is day 19 I am seeing no change except I cannot keep water in the bator and get the humidity past 50%......maybe they are not going to hatch....

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    It takes on average of 22 days for an egg to hatch. Your humidity(assuming this is chickens) should be between 70-80% and your temp at 99.5. Do not turn them, you should stop turning on day 18. You can put a sponge in the water pan and that will help witht he humidity. But try not to open the bator so that the levels stay correct. Good Luck.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:What kind of incubator are you using?

A lot depends on NOT opening the bator the last 3 days. I ran a piece of airline tubing, like for a fish tank, through a corner gap and used a syringe to add water without opening the lid. Don't do that now, because you need to keep it closed, but for future reference.

4. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Give them some more time. Keep the lid closed! I put 2 drinking straws together and go through the vent hole in the top of my LG to add water. On my one and only hatch so far I had my humidity around 65% and was doing great. Then it went up to 70% and after that I did not have any more pips. You will have to find the humidity that works for you. Everyone has a different answer on what it should be.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My last hatch wasn't so good- 50%- but the windows were open, and the humidity here had gone too high. Low humidity isn't too bad, so just let it be.

Hope it all works out and you have a wonderful hatch. [​IMG]

6. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I am using a hovabator 2362 with fan and turner...I took turner out yesterday....I have been putting water in by a straw but did open it alittle today....

7. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    Low humidity and high humidity are both bad in extremes. Just try your best to stay around 65 - 75% if possible.

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If you can do it fast, get a clean (new) sponge and cut it to whatever size you need to in order for it to be directly under the vent for your straw to reach it. That's what I use, and just squirt water on the sponge through a straw/syringe. This will really help get your humidity up. It really need to be 65-70 for hatching!! GOOD LUCK!

9. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I got a sponge in there....I have just added a humidifier beside it and shut the blinds here in the living room.....it has just turned off so flippin cold here today....suppose to be snow tonight....here in the deep south.....cant believe it

10. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    I hope you have a great hatch.I know you really need the chicks!!! [​IMG] What are you trying to hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by