Day 19 of hatch...rotten egg smell :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carolynb, Sep 8, 2009.

1. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    So...it's day 19 and we have a rotten egg smell...again. We had one last week and sniffed it out. I don't know what to do now with it being the last few days of the hatch...It's our first hatch and everyone has said not to open the incubator during the last 3 days. Any advice?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Day 19 or not, if I was smelling a bad egg I'd be getting it out before it pops.

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    If no eggs are pipped yet I would get in there and sniff it out and get it out of there. Try to disturb the eggs as little as possible and get the lid back on asap. You should have plenty of time to get the humidity back up.
    db

4. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Thank you so much!!! Unfortunately...I have to wait until this afternoon when I get home from work. Hopefully my husband will have a short day and be able to do it sooner!

5. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Oh no! Hope you guys can get this sorted out SOON! Make sure to spritz the eggs with warm water if any have pipped. Good luck!

~Cherlyn

6. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Thanks, Cherlyn!! We'll make sure to do that if any have pipped. [​IMG] I really hope everything works out ok....the next couple of days are going to be tough!! I am a worrier!!

7. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    We sniffed it out....brought it out into the woods and cracked it open. There was a very small embryo in it. We had the incubator open for about 1 full minute. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope it's ok now!!

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I had that happen and the smell [​IMG] Best of luck! I just went on lockdown tonight!

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I try to open only a window of the incubator so it doesn't wash out all the hot humid air.

Glad you got it out fast!

10. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    We have a Brower Top Hatch incubator...so we had no choice but to take the whole cover off [​IMG] I'm not sure I'll use this incubator again. I'm glad we got that egg out!! It was gross....

Good luck on your hatch Sillystunt!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by