1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 19 on my first hatch and I JUST HEARD A BABY CHICKEN!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tabinal, Feb 22, 2016.

1. tabinal

tabinal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    I am literally crying because I thought I had killed them all, but someone is alive in there. I put them on lockdown yesterday and I thought I would start noticing some sort of movement but there was none so far. Cross your fingers for me that they make it out ok.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Fingers and toes are crossed; eyes too. Good luck.

3. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    The first time is awful but exhilarating! I had thought that I was imagining the peeps and rocking because I was so anxious. What kind of surface are the eggs on? A soft surface makes the rocking a lot harder to notice plus the movement is very quick so it's easy to miss if you blink.

4. moodybubbles

moodybubbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    I killed all of my first 2 hatches. My third hatch I got it closer to right as I had 3 hatch out of about 20. Many of the rest had fully developed, yet did not pip. It's hard especially if you are using an incubator that needs tweaking to get it right (like mine) and if you are a new user, that makes it doubly difficult.

The hatching is so exciting though. I checked every 15 minutes after I heard cheeping.

Good luck to you!

5. tabinal

Feb 7, 2016
    Thanks! My son hasn't heard it yet so he thinks I was joking. The are in a Farm Innovator on the wire rack since I took out the turner, but I put a sheet of paper towel over the wire and there are 34 in there so might not be as much movement with all that.

6. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    The very best of luck to you and your son.

7. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Good luck and congrats on the chirping! Make sure to update us if anything happens!

8. tabinal

Feb 7, 2016
    I work nights but my kids sent me pics. The first one, a black austrolorpe was totally out and stumbling over the others before day 19 was over. Several others are rocking, some have pipped. So exciting![​IMG]

9. tabinal

Feb 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

10. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by