Day 19 today, how do I keep my humidity high?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AGraybeal, Mar 18, 2015.

1. AGraybeal

AGraybeal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2014
    CO
    I live in Southern CO and it's naturally very dry here. When I went to bed at 11 my incubator was hovering at about 62% I added just a little water because I knew it would move. I woke just now at 4am and it had dipped to 44%. Anything I can do to help keep the humidity consistently higher? I was thinking about putting our in home humidifier in that room to help? Or maybe a damp rag in the incubator? But I'm not sure. Any ideas would be appreciated. I want my babies to have as easy of a time as I can make it for them!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yes, your humidifier in the room would help. Humidity is based on evaporation from surface area, so think: large surface area. I'm able to keep my humidity up to hatching range with a piece of sponge in a cup. If you go that route, be sure that the cup can't be tipped over or accessed by the chicks. Anything you put in needs to be super clean, if not sterile.

3. AGraybeal

AGraybeal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2014
    CO
    Ok thank you! Hopefully I have pictures this weekend of the little babies we've been waiting on!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I also use sponges (but no cup) (brand new out of the package for each hatch). And the in room humidifier should help as well. Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by