Day 19- Two Pips, sort of.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrazyFowlFreak, May 15, 2009.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Well one is a complete hole in the shell and the other is a small denty thing. Is that a pip? How long now till there are new babies for me to love as a replacement for having anymore human babies? [​IMG]

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yep the "denty" thing is a pip. It can take 24+ hours before starting to zip and hatch, some do hatch quicker though. Congrats!

3. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    ARGHHH!!! 24 hours?! I'll surely be insane by then! And sleep deprived.[​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Those are pips!! 24 hours and sometimes longer!! Find something to occupy your time! [​IMG]

5. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Yay!! Me too, I can't stop going to look!!

6. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I had to leave the house!
    From when I saw the first pip to chick was about 10 hours. I did leave them alone overnight so they would dry.
    Well......alone if you dont count looking in the window and talking to them!!!!

Just put them into the brooder. So nice!!!!!!! Unlike the shipped chicks these come running right to our hands.
    [​IMG]

7. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Now the one that's fully pipped is rolling around! I never thought I would be so darn excited. [​IMG]
    Luckily, DH and I have a meeting at DS's school, so that should keep me occupied for an hour or so. :lol Then I'm going for a nap because we live across from the Fire Station and there were three fires last night. So, needless to say, I got zero sleep last night.[​IMG]

8. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Gosh...........ten hours sounds like a long time!! I feel so bubbly - it will be hard to wait that long!!

9. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Okay, that meeting didn't last long. [​IMG]

How long until I can hold them? As soon as they dry, or 24 hours after they hatch?

They're zipping now![​IMG]

10. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I am not sure what other do or say but..... Mine are getting held for real short times all day today....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by