Day 19 - What to expect?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IzatKaren, Feb 24, 2013.

1. IzatKaren

IzatKaren Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Temperature is holding steady between 99.5 and 99.9. Humidity is 70-71%.

No rocking.

If I listen carefully I can hear faint pecking sounds, but no chirping or other sounds. Is this normal?

Should I expect roughly to see maybe more sounds? When people say "Pipping", is that the sound of pecking or chirping?

Thanks in advance! Karen T. aka KK

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Pipping is when they crack the shell a bit.

Give it time, they will hatch. I have had hatches start on day 17 and hatch all they way to day 21. Anything can delay hatching by a day - lower temp early on or humidity fluctuations - etc.

3. IzatKaren

Feb 23, 2013
    Thank you, so IOW, Day 21 isn't necessarily the only day they start to hatch? Sometimes sooner, sometimes longer? Is it usually a 24 or 48 hour process?

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    this is their quiet time be patient. when you see a peck hole, don't try to help, even if you see it breathing heavy, it is just getting used to the air. 24 hour later you can start to worry but it will come out of egg when ready.

6. IzatKaren

Feb 23, 2013
    Thank you for the link. Of course, it sends me more into a panic because what is said there (here) and elsewhere are two different things. I'm told that humidity was to be 50% and that I should shoot for 70 - 80% humidity. The link says 65%. The instructions said DON'T remove the vent plugs, but the link above says DO! (so I just did - but didn't beforehand!) I had my temp at 99.5 to 100 and the above link said is should have been higher... And then IT said I should LOWER my temp and increase humidity...!!!

See why I'm confused!? I'm hoping my ignorance didn't cause me to lose my hatch! Sigh... I really want to get this right. SO HARD to wait for the next few days to see if my chickies will pip!

Thanks to the forum for putting up with my questions! I know some of you see these questions a thousand times <G>... I'm a dog breeder, so know that feeling. So my humble thanks for your patience, tolerance and willingness to answer my oft repeated questions!

KK

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would open the vents they need air!

8. IzatKaren

Feb 23, 2013
    I did :)... That made sense to me, so opened the vents up. But I'm just hoping I didn't mess something else up along the way! Sigh... I feel like a little kid - I have NO PATIENCE <G>.

KK

9. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    if you have alot of water alot of air is good. but keep the heat 99

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by