Day 2 candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raisinemright, Feb 9, 2014.

1. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are four (not the best pics) eggs that have been in the bator for 2 days now. I needed to add some water so I thought why not candle also. This is my first time incubating eggs so I need some advice. My first pic has me scared I think it's bad?? The others not sure of. One of them has a very nice looking air sack about quarter size. The others have a dark mass that you can see move when you turn the egg. I have 9 Maran eggs and I'm not sure how old the eggs were when I got them. If anyone can tell me from the pics if I have any hope for any of the eggs, or is it still to early to see much?? Thanks oh the temp is 99.7-100 and humidity stays around 50 in a hovabator Genisus!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are the pics all marans eggs?

Pretty early. I did my first hatch candled at 7-10-14-18 days....7 was disappointing didn't see much but the air cell, 10 I started to see what I was looking for, 14 even better. Takes some practice and experience...I had light to medium brown eggs.....darker they were, harder for me to see. Had one blue that I never saw anything in, but it hatched.

So keep trying and be patient...and have fun!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  3. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks, they are all Marans. Dark brown so I know it's going to be harder to see anything but I will keep them in and see what we get!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just keep looking every 4 days...if you can see great, if you can't just hope!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by