Day 2 - Has the pecking already begun or am I being paranoid?

Slidingfowl

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2016
I was advised in the New Member Introductions forum to post this here...

This is my 2nd adult attempt at keeping hens. Two days ago I picked up three thus far unnamed beautiful 16 week old hens that had all been raised together in a flock of more than 50 hens. The white is a Sussex Hybrid, the grey is a Belle Blue and the black is a Bovan Nera. They have a run of 3m x 3m and a DIY coop that is approximately 1m x 1m x 1m raised 1m off the ground. Everything is enclosed and half the run is covered with tarp.

My previous attempt at backyard chickens ended in somewhat interesting fashion last September. Someone (T*DD), left the gate open to the chicken run the day before my wife and I were married (I was sent a WhatsApp message by the neighbour on the day of the wedding to let me know a fox had eaten the chickens). Anyway, at that point, they were already segregated because two of them were picking on the third (broody) hen. Notwithstanding the broodiness I had issues with that flock for most of the time with either Bronwyn or Madge being picked on by Pat Butcher. Whichever one wasn't being picked on would join in.

We tried everything - hanging grit blocks, mirrors, interesting treats, lots of things to climb on and hide under, segregating them, letting them roam free as much as possible, mite treatment, anti peck spray and even belittling the bully by pretending to mount her (I kid you not). None of it really worked and it got quite frustrating.

Fast forward to now.

New chickens seem incredibly timid in general but I'm sure this is just them getting used to a new environment. Whereas the other hens pretty much immediately would either run away from you (or to you if you had treats) and were inquisitive and energetic, these hens seem a bit listless and disinterested in everything and dare I say it - a bit...chicken (sorry). I'm hoping that this is all fine and they just need to get used to their new environment and will perk up pretty quickly - maybe even a bit of sun would help!

That said, we'd hoped that the pecking issues with the previous chickens were because they were much older when we received them or that they had an existing pecking order or perhaps one of them was just a bully. But today, I just saw the Belle Blue take a chunk of feathers out of the Sussex Hybrid on more than one occasion.

Not sure what to do. Any suggestions re pecking gratefully received.

Pecking was probably because your set up is much too small. Chickens need enough room to get away from each other and to get some good exercise scratching and pecking. You will have troubles again. It sounds like you have one of those small coops? Pictures would help.

From my observations a distance of 5-10 feet is necessary for birds to move away to avoid conflict. Yours can't.

It's possible you could keep a trio of gentle smaller bantams in your set up, but not big breeds.

Pecking was probably because your set up is much too small. Chickens need enough room to get away from each other and to get some good exercise scratching and pecking. You will have troubles again. It sounds like you have one of those small coops? Pictures would help.

From my observations a distance of 5-10 feet is necessary for birds to move away to avoid conflict. Yours can't.

It's possible you could keep a trio of gentle smaller bantams in your set up, but not big breeds.

Hey thanks. I'm confused though - they have a run of 3 x 3 metres. Thats a few inches under 10 sq feet. Do you mean I need 5-10 feet for the roost?

Hey thanks. I'm confused though - they have a run of 3 x 3 metres. Thats a few inches under 10 sq feet. Do you mean I need 5-10 feet for the roost?
3.png
2.png
1.png

Have added a few pics for more detail. These are obviously the old chickens that are no longer with us :(

I dont think space is the only issue. Your set up doesn' look that cramped. I know the advice is always the more space the better but many people keep chickens in less space than recommended with few problems.

Relocatig these birds to your home from a much larger flock will upset their existing pecking order and they will have to work out their positions within their new environment. This will cause some upsets at first

Some breeds and individual birds are just more prone to being aggressive wit each other. An easy going bantam breed like a pekin or cochin would have been ideal for you.

You say the new chickens seem listless and disinterested - this worries me. Do they seem generally healthy (combs not pale, feathers in good condition, poop normal, not too skinny or too fat, no mites or lice)?

View attachment 1333333 View attachment 1333334 View attachment 1333335

Have added a few pics for more detail. These are obviously the old chickens that are no longer with us :(
Well apparently I know nothing of metric to feet conversion. You do appear to have adequate room.

Even though you got them from the same flock there still may be some pecking and establishing of the pecking order initially.

Roosts space should be 5-10 feet in total length of roosts that far apparent to let submissive birds roost away from dominant members if they choose.

Your birds look okay, they should adjust. Sorry for my confusion, I really need to learn the n metric system better. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom