Day 2 of our very new hobbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by slyfoxy84, Mar 18, 2013.

1. slyfoxy84

slyfoxy84 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Lancashire, England, UK
    It's all very new to me and my husband and what we know is just from books.
    We are now proud owners of 1 light Sussex, 1 bluebell & 2 warrens all at POL.
    We now on day 2 and already im picking up on the different personalities they have! Sussex and bluebell are the dominant ones but bluebell rules our coop!!!! Whilst the warrens seem to have no chance and stay clear. Hope this doesn't stay that way as during the day so far ( I know its very early days!) Sussex and bluebell seem to go in and out or the coop and the warrens just stay in the run under the coop or in penned out area. And at night im also having to put the girls in the coop myself even with a light on after 6pm. Hope in time they will go in themselves.
    Also they seem to be laying eggs in the perching area and not the boxes, is this ok?
    Lots of questions but thinks its a case of trial and error till we get use to each other.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You might try closing your birds in the coop for a few days until they get in the habit of putting themselves to bed.

1 person likes this.
  3. slyfoxy84

Mar 18, 2013
    Lancashire, England, UK
    I have a coop with a run and then pen. So should I just keep them in just the coop or the little run too?

4. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    A few days locked in their coop would quickly teach them where they are suppose to be and then instinct to go home and roost at dark will kick in...

That being said, i remember being a new chicken keeper and its real hard not to let em out and spoil them... They will figure it out either way and having to chase them in or better yet pick them up and put them in will help with the bonding with you

5. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Just the coop. It'll make them very comfortable in it. Try putting some pretend eggs, wooden, plastic, in the nest boxes to show them that they should be laying there. If they keep laying in the roosting area, the eggs may get stepped on and cracked, leading to them eating them, or, at the very least, very poopy and dirty.

6. slyfoxy84

Mar 18, 2013
    Lancashire, England, UK
    Thank you :) will sure give it a try for day 3&4.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, slyfox84, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you here! Good luck to you and your hens!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]
    you've received some good advice.

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member