day 2 should i feed them if yes how

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by charbel, May 8, 2011.

1. charbel

charbel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    hey all my chicks hatched yesterday i might asked a stupid question because it is my first time iam so happy i went to the pet shop and i bought special food for chicks iam asking if i should feed them today ? if yes how muck should i feed them and how do i teach to eat [​IMG]

2. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    They should go to it straight away, if not, dip their beaks in water, and then you could try and dip it in the food?

3. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    Unless they aren't doing it on their own, they will have no problem deciding when to eat and drink. For their first 2 or 3 days, they are still working on finishing up what they were provided for in their egg. They know when they are hungry, so go and set out their food basically right away. Water is the same. Set it out once they are hatched and they know when they are ready to drink. If you notice that they really aren't drinking or eating at all after the day they are hatched, make sure they know where the food and water is, especially water by just dipping their beak in it...they will do the right thing and realize the water is water. It's nature, they get it. Sometimes we have to me their mommy's and just introduce them, but most of the time, one of them checks it out and realizes everything and the rest follow suit anyway. Just make sure they have everything they need right away and after some exploring, they get the picture right quick.

4. charbel

charbel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    thx all for ur help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by