Day 20, 1pipped 28 hrs ago, still not hatched...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Diamond Chicks, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Diamond Chicks

Diamond Chicks New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    My 11 year old daughter's science fair project is making an incubator, and hatching chicks/ compared to a Brinsea. (we are opting to hatch our own eggs instead of buying chicks this year, very exciting for the whole family, especially if we have some success)

Today is day 20, 1 pipped yesterday morning, is still moving/breathing/talking, but is not making much progress at all. I feel so bad for it. We have 5 more pipped (1 late last night, the other 4 this morning) So we have 3 pips in each incubator!

It is very hard to be patient, especially for so long when nothing seems to be happening. I am mostly worried about the first one. Any thoughts/Ideas? Temp is 99, Humidity is 65+. We have tried to keep it up there, but even with squirting warm water through the vent holes to the bare wall, the temp drops a smidge. Is it more important to keep the humidity or the temp? ( knowing they both are fluctuating as more eggs pip) I already have 2 sponges with warm water on them, but heard that misting the wall of the incubator kept the Humidity even better.

Thanks for any help/guidance/advice.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. Diamond Chicks

Diamond Chicks New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    The great news is our little chick is out, safe and sound, all by itself. It must have been waiting for a friend, as another one hatched, and before I knew it, he was unzipping his egg (born an hour later)

2 out, 6 more pipped, waiting for the other 3 to pip with fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by