1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

day 20/21 candled, question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jul 1, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have the egg that I cracked big time on day 11, it was alive still on day 18 when it went into the hatcher. These 4 eggs also had big air cells that were saddle shaped because of shipping. I candled today, day 20/almost 21, I know I shouldn't open the bator but I am worried the cracked one might be too tough. Well when I candled it looks like the chick is trying to pip into the air cell, just pushing and pushing. Since the hatcher was open I checked one of the others, and it too looked like it was trying to push. Could the messed up air cell be harder to pip because it keeps stretching? I got humidity back up quickly when I put them back, but I'm not sure if they can even pip. Ideas?
    Krista

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Everything is going just fine. Try not to open the bator again. It was ok this time since it is more important to have the humidity up after they have pipped the shell. Sounds like they are going right on time and everything should be fine. Jenn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by