Day 20/21 - no air cell??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SoManyHats, Nov 15, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I set my eggs three weeks ago tomorrow (Saturday) at 10am, so depending on who I ask. It's either day 20 or 21. But, I have not seen or heard anything from them. So when I noticed my humidity had gotten a bit high, I took advantage and pulled one out to candle...and I could no longer see the air cell! What in the world does that mean???

This is my first time incubating, and so far it has not been much fun. If none of these chicks make it, I don't think I'll try again. The stress is horrible!

2. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I don't now what the lack of an air cell might mean. Maybe the chick is turning into hatching position and it obscured it so you couldn't see it?[​IMG]

3. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Well, the good news is that I heard peeping coming from that egg! So I'm hoping to see some action soon. :fl

4. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    This is good news! Hope they pop out all safe and happy soon! [​IMG]

5. Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Central Virginia
    The chick pips internally into the aircell, and starts breathing. This is when you hear the first peeps, next come the external pip, where you can see the broken shell. Some hours after that comes the zip. Healthy chicks zip in about 1/2 hr, long zippers tend to get shrinkwrapped...

6. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Well he/she hatched this evening without a hitch! It did take about 75 min. to zip, but it came out strong, chirping up a storm and wobbling all over the incubator! That was 5 hours ago and it has only been settling down in the last hour or so. That's one feisty BCM! :lol:
    [​IMG]

7. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Congrats! [​IMG]

8. Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Awesome! Should be cute and fluffy this morning... hope she gets some brooder buddies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by