Day 20 and 4 Silkie chicks!!!!!! PICTURE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SundownWaterfowl, Sep 3, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Well, this morning at 9am was day 20 for 4 of my Silkie eggs. 1 of the chicks was already out. The other egg that was pipped yesterday had no progress. So I knew it was time to help. I took off some egg shell where the air sac is, and the chick was peeping. So I took the whole air sac piece of the shell off. There was still some small veins. So I wet the membrane, and came back at 10am. The veins were gone, so I slid a wet q-tip under the membrane, and I popped the chicks head out. He looks great! I am so glad I helped him, or for surely he would be dead. He has a little vault, and that is why he didnt make any progress. YAY! [​IMG]

Ill post pictures later!

ETA: I just helped another chick out. So now I have 3 healthy chicks. I will never do dry incubation again. I think that is why all of my chicks are dying in the shells.
    ETA @ 11:34am - I just helped out the last chick. They all look great and healthy. The first 2 I helped out are doing great, they were resting for about an hour, and now they are hopping around and peeping. The last chick is resting now. Im so glad I chose to help them out. Without doing that, they would have all parished. Im going to have to help out my other 4 Buff silkie eggs. They were shipped to me. They are on day 17. So I move those 4 to the incubator tomorrow night. Im hoping they all hatch. I want to get 1 male and 3 females. That way I have a "quado" (thats what I call it, lol) to breed next spring/summer. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. SundownWaterfowl

Here is a picture of 3 of the chicks. The one standing was the one that hatched out by himself very early this morning. The two other chicks are taking a rest. I helped those two out. The 4th chick is resting in the egg carton. lol.

[​IMG]

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Three out of four on shipped eggs????
    You did good !!!!

Where/who did they come from?

They sure are pretty....

Susan

4. SundownWaterfowl

Nope, those arent shipped eggs. Those are from my mixed color flock of Silkies. I got 4 out of 4 on them.

I havent had good results on shipped eggs. Im hoping that the 4 buff eggs I got shipped to me hatch. [​IMG] They are due to hatch this sunday (day 21), but bantams always hatch a day earlier for me.

5. SusanJoM

Quote:Ooops, sorry, that's what I get for reading posts before I've had my morning latte....

Susan

6. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Ooops, sorry, that's what I get for reading posts before I've had my morning latte....

Susan

lol. Since I havent had good results for shipped eggs, I will be attending a poultry show at the end of the month. They have a very large sale area, so hopefully I can get a trio or so of silkies. Id love to get a blue cockeral, splash pullet, black pullet, and maybe a blue pullet.

7. SusanJoM

Susan

lol. Since I havent had good results for shipped eggs, I will be attending a poultry show at the end of the month. They have a very large sale area, so hopefully I can get a trio or so of silkies. Id love to get a blue cockeral, splash pullet, black pullet, and maybe a blue pullet.

Ah, I hope you find them. My silkies are such fun to watch cavorting around. Every afternoon I go out and pluck handfuls of the Concord Grapes and just watch them scamper around chasing them and hoarding them.

Susan

8. tntstanifer

tntstanifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Tennessee
    I'm glad they made it! So on the silkies, they're vaulted heads will keep them from hatching? Yuck!
    I have a chick that I might have to help. It was pipped yesterday and has made a pretty big hole, but not zipped. Others have pipped and zipped after him. I still have chicks pipping and zipping though, so until they are all hatched, I'm not opening the bator. Hopefully he'll make it until then. Only 3 more to go. Really cute babies!!

9. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Sometimes chicks that have vaulted heads cant move around to zip the egg. Sometimes they only pip the air sac, and cant pip the shell. I would def. help him.

10. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    aww that's great! Congrats on your healthy new bundles of feathery joy!!! LOL They look sooo cute!
    I'm glad it all worked out! [​IMG]
    Good job! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by