Day 20 and Awoke To Power Out-Incubator Off

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1MrsMagoo, Feb 9, 2011.

1. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    So, we went to bed at 10PM and the Brinsea was sitting in lockdown at a rock solid 99.7F with 66% Humidity on day 20 of incubation of my BCM eggs. My husband woke up choking at 1AM and says out loud, "Why's it so dark in here...the clock's off". I sat straight up in bed and said, "Oh crap, the power is out....the incubator." [​IMG]

My husband literally flew out of bed and had on his slippers and robe (ran into the dresser trying to find the door), got into the laundry room to get a flashlight, grabbed a hoodie, and was outside in the 33F cold starting the generator within 4 minutes. By the time I made it outside with the emergency lantern, he was on his way back from the pump house with a can of gasoline and the generator was on and running. The incubator was at 86.7F and the humidity had shot up to 86% without the fan running. With power to it, the incubator only took a minute or so to get back up to temperature. My fingers are crossed that we got them warm enough quick enough that no major damage was done. [​IMG] We live in SE Louisiana where hurricane season is a fact of life, so accordingly own two generators (one of which is wired to the house with a switch in the electrical panel) and have a bevy of emergency lighting.....which made life much easier.

Thank goodness my DH woke up from a dead sleep and discovered this before they got too cold. [​IMG] I have read other threads where incubators have lost heat and the hatches were not a total loss. This is my first ever incubator and hatch, so naturally I am a nervous wreck. [​IMG]
    Now, I have to stay up and wait for the power to come back on and watch the generator...add fuel, etc. Luckily, our neighbor is a huge horse broker and has a ton of lights in his paddock, so it'll be easy to see when power returns. It is so weird...it isn't even storming, windy....anything here: Guess somebody hit a power pole or a transformer blew, but the whole area is definetly very dark.

Do you think too much damage was done or this will just slow them down a bit?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just think positive.

I think you'll be OK.

Glad he woke up too!

3. 1MrsMagoo

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Thanks for the kind words...thoughts.

4. RedneckChikns

RedneckChikns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    This happened to me last summer...big ol FL Tstorm took out the power and out here it takes them at least 6-8 hours to even notice and then get it back on. I was in a panic. For 3 hours (it was summer) I watched the temps in the bators fall. Finally at the 3 hour mark and 80 in the bators I too fired up the generator and the first thing I plugged in was the bators. Well...I worried and fretted, cant rememeber what day I was but I was well into it. Long story short...I had excellent hatches nontheless-was like nothing ever happened.

So dont loose too much sleep...esp at day 20. Remember sometimes mama wanders off for a little bit when chickens are left to their own devices....I used to have game hens do that all the time and I swear the egglets would be mamaless for hours at a time, and still they would hatch every eggs they had.

Dont worry...dont fret...just go back on lockdown and all should pop out fine...keep us posted! [​IMG]

5. maureen9962

maureen9962 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    I think you are fine too. I have had the same thing happen up here in VT during snowstorms. A couple hours doesn't seem to bother them at all.

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Same here, I lost power for a few hours during lockdown on my first hatch. My story was about the same as yours, woke up in the middle of the night with the power out. We don't have a generator so just had to wait for the power to come on. I can't remember what temp the bator got down to but I had 8 eggs in the bator and 6 hatched. One of the eggs that didn't hatch hadn't even started developing so it wouldn't have hatched anyway. Mine did hatch a little late but I think my bator was running a little cool for the whole incubation. I think you will be just fine and seeing chicks tomorrow! [​IMG]

7. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    I also think everything will be fine (saying a prayer for little unhatched babies!).

We have a set of rechargable flashlights. They have a setting that if the power goes off, they switch on. One of those near your bed could help alert you to outages. Keep a blanket on hand to throw on top of the incubator until the generator gets cranked.

Best of luck with the hatch! Let us know how it goes, please.

8. Dixieangeln

Dixieangeln Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    NC/VA line
    Glad you DH woke up! Hopefully all will be fine and you will have fuzzy butts soon!! [​IMG]

9. 1MrsMagoo

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Thanks so much guys: I am feeling much better now. The power came back on around 3:30AM and I went to bed with one eye open....lol. Our 13 year old is home schooled and will be on bator watch today as I have to go install a tile backsplash this morning. Fingers are crossed that between my inexperience, the power outage and the dark shipped eggs (candling them was a booger) that we get a decent hatch rate. I'll update the thread with pictures when we have [​IMG].
    Rhonda

10. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Don't worry to much. Keep posotive thoughts. Good luck.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by