day 20 and had a tempp spike to 106

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by elloyd, Sep 12, 2011.

1. elloyd

elloyd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    cottage grove
    it is day 20 and i went tto town for a hour and came home and checked the bator and the temp was up to 106 what do i do i am so worryed that i killed the chicks i dont know that to do my girls will be so upset if nouthing happens again with this batch of eggs is ther any way i can tell if the chicks are still alive

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:See if they hatch. If not, go to town and get some chicks for the kids. [​IMG]

3. franh

franh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Try candling the eggs at that stage of growth you should definately be able to see them moving if they are still alive.

Did you cool the incubator down straight away?

Good luck

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

As you were only out for an hour it may be that the spike happended just before you came home so there's still a chance the eggs may hatch. I would also advise candling and look to see if there are any shadows moving in the air cell area.

Best of luck

Pete [​IMG]

5. elloyd

Sep 24, 2010
    cottage grove
    so what you are sayin is that it would be ok to open the incubator and candel the eggs along as there is no pips in any of the eggs? i may do this if nouthing happens by this evenin today is day 21 so i will wait till tonight and see what happens if nouthing is happening then i am onna candel them thanks so much for the help

6. franh

franh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Any luck?

7. elloyd

Sep 24, 2010
    cottage grove
    yes i have 2 chicks that hatched the first one still has a the youlk sack atatched so i dont know what to do for it but the second one is doing fine they are takeing forever to dry out and fluff up i just hope that maby mor eggs will hatch out i really cannot see anything in the eggs the are all dark

8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    If they are dark, they are full, that is a good thing! Separate the one with the yolk still attached the other chicks will pick on it and you want to give it a chance to absorb it and heal up. Feed it some boiled egg yolk that seems to perk those early birds up.

9. elloyd

Sep 24, 2010
    cottage grove
    ok soi put the chick with the sack still there in a seperat incubator that has eggs in it that will not be ready to hatch until the 20th of this month so as for the outher eggs they still have no sign of hatching i dont really know what to do i think lastnight at 10 was day 21 because i set them on the 23rd at 10 pm i really just dont know what to do do i give up and shut off the bator or what

10. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    I have heard of chicks hatching at 22 and 23 and even 24 days!!!! According to what I have read on here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by