Day 20 and I don't hear any peeps :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Overeasyplz, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    So, do all eggs peep at you or are they mostly quiet? I went and listened to mine and no noise at all. then I candled the 7 and 3 were quitters [​IMG] I sure hope those last 4 are going the distance! I'll play the Cake song, "going the distance" if they start hatching, I swear! if these don't I still have the eggs that are a week out from these that seem to be progressing nicely. Hopehopehopehope [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

You shouldn't be candleing on day 20. They need to be in to incubator with increased humidity.

No, not always will you hear chirping, but usually. May be on day 20, or 21 right before the hatch, even. I have heard some on day 19. Actually, my very first hatch ... I was scared to death, and thought I was imagining it! LOL

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I usually don't hear cheaping until they pip thru the shell. Sometimes you'll hear it earlier, but it's not real loud when they haven't pipped yet and it's very hard to hear. Once they crack the shell, they rest quite a bit, so aren't cheaping the whole time. They only peep when they are awake and typically hatching. Patience. They'll be coming soon. Good luck with your hatch.

4. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Hmmm. I only checked because another poster thought hers were pipping too early, she was candling hers at day 18. I haven't hardly touched them or I would have found those quitters a lot earlier, they looked infertile. But my temps are good, my humidity is 60-65, and I am quietly waiting to hear even the tiniest peep..!!!!

5. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    yeah, I heard mine chirping on day 18 I really didn't expect them to have piped through the air sack on day 18, I guess my thermometer must be off.
    but I wouldn't have heard it if I hadn't of had it in my hand.

6. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I am nervous just like you, ginea! I have been following your posts and thinking hey, mine should be doing the same thing!! But alas, my birds are too busy staying warm and not fertilizing/laying eggs, except for one trooper australorp out there. Her eggs are the only ones due now, next week are the mixed batch I got from my new friend in Rigby.

7. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    good luck, I hope yours start chirping soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by