day 20 and just got home... my humidity had dropped to 40%, will the chicks be ok?!?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nlbeardmore, Jun 4, 2012.

1. nlbeardmore

nlbeardmore Chirping

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    As i have just got back home to check my eggs i noticed the lid of my incubator was not on tightly at the back and there was the tiniest gap. My temp was fine at about 38 degrees celcius, however my humidity had dropped to 40%. Throughout the first 18 days my humidity was a steady 40-50% and i managed to keep it raised between 60-75% from day 18, until i noticed it had dropped due to the lid being open a bit just. Will this affect the chicks? i hear no pipping yet and have quickly raised it back up to 75%.

Any help will be highly appreciated :)

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    You should be fine ;) If it were a couple of days then I might worry a tad but not a few hours :D

3. nlbeardmore

nlbeardmore Chirping

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    Thankyou, it would have been like that for deffinately no more than 10 hours.. Its hard to see into my incubator so im trying to peek through the vent holes and listen/look out for any movement or noise but i cant tell! (we have a birds nest outside of the room making lots of cheeping sounds). I know i have got to be patient but this is our first time using an incubator and will be happy even if i just get one chick! we have 12 eggs that were viable at day 17!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: