Day 20 and moving/ rocking stopped, PLEASE HELP :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jb1jord, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jb1jord

jb1jord Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    this is the third time i hatched and none have been succesfull, then i discoovered my humidity was 45% in lockdown, s this time i have put it to 70% and it is 37.d degrees c, the egg was slightly movng every 2 minutes and stopped, is this because the chick inside is too big to move or has it died? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    put the egg to your ear, can you hear chirping? If it is day 20 It might be having trouble hatching. Others would dissagree with this but jently crack open the large end of the egg and carefully peal the end off a little. Look inside, can you see the chick? r is the air sack membrane still over it. If you can see the chick try to tell if it is still breathing or if we're too late. Let me know.

Mollie

3. jb1jord

Jun 13, 2011
    i have lisned to it and there was nothing, and i candled it, and it was all black apart from half an inch air cell, but i think i saw some blood vessels?, today it was rocing then it stopped, i was wondering if it was to big for the shell to move?, but i would rather not crack it open, not until tomorrow [​IMG]

4. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    It's totally up to you of course on whether you want to open it or not. One thing I always keep on hand when hatching is Vetriacyn spray. That way if you have a baby whose belly isn't closed the whole way you just spray it a couple of times and wait. I hatched some chicks out with a home made incubator this spring. What an experience that was! Had some hatching issues but most of them were due to kids not being able to wait.. Most of the eggs survived though, amazingly. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Dont open it! They rest and nap in there, Hes probably just getting ready to actuall pip

6. 53convert

53convert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Central Oklahoma
    just like any little tyke, they espend a LOT of energy even in the shell and do take long naps........

Ive had the same situatio once........and opened the shell..once........fractured a blood vessel and killed the chick........

If you decide to open, just be extremly careful (I wasnt)

7. jb1jord

Jun 13, 2011
    u just hit's still alive, since posting this topic, te egg has not moved 1mm, the problem is, i have incubated all togeather 60 eggs and 1 succesfully hatched and died 6 days later [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by