1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 20 and still no pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Citychicks1984, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Citychicks1984

Citychicks1984 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Is there something I can adjust to help things along or is this little guy just a late hatcher? I upped the humidity this morning from 65% to 70%. The egg has been wobbling since early yesterday morning, with the wobbles gradually getting bigger throughout the day yesterday. But today, it's back down to almost nothing. Help?

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    maybe i missed it, did you say what kind of eggs they were? chicken eggs take 21 days..........

3. Citychicks1984

Citychicks1984 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    It's a chicken egg. I thought that day 21 was the day that they hatch, usually. If I understand correctly, it can still be up to 24 hours after pip before they begin to finish hatching. So this guy isn't behind schedule?

4. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    they can go from no pip (internal or external) to hatched in as little as a few minuets, and some can take 30+ hours from pip to hatch, if your temp was correct and steady then they should hatch day 21, some can come early, some late but no your not behind schedule.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by