Day 20 and we have a chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lisab, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Lisab

Lisab Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    MA
    Hi!
    I've not been on this site since last year.

I set 11 eggs for my "Everything Grows" unit in my pre-kindergarten class. This year I was lucky to get eggs from my son's friend. They are a mixed breed of chickens so not sure what they will look like... silkie and god only knows what else!

Most of the eggs seemed viable when candeling and I pretty much left them alone in the corner of my classroom. Feeling like 'not the brightest bulb' I set them so they'd hatch...over school vacation!

Last night, I noticed a pip on one of the eggs (day 19) and this morning when I woke there was a very tiny chick sitting in the bator pecking at its siblings still encased in their shells.

I'm hoping others will hatch and so far have left this little chick in the bator.... should I take it out and put it in the broodie box thus letting out the warm air and humidity?? Or let it stay in there til tomorrow?

Lisab

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Leave it so the other eggs have a better chance of pipping and hatching int he right environment. It can stay in there over 24 hours before you need to take it out.

3. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    If you leave the chick in there, he'll start cheeping and you'll be able to hear the others cheeping back [​IMG] The chick will entice the others out

4. Lisab

Lisab Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    MA
    Okay

Right now...its doing more sleeping than cheeping and every once in awhile it pecks one of the eggs. It has scattered them all around the incubator, they were in a nice clutch last night. [​IMG]

Lisab

5. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Next time, on day 18, place them in an egg carton, pointy end down. This way, early hatcher's won't disturb the ones who haven't come out yet!

6. Lisab

Lisab Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    MA
    Great idea!

Well, it is sure a cheaper!! We've dubbed it "Noisey Nora"
    It is a silkie mix... what its mixed with I have no idea... that was what I was told .
    It is gray with a yellow underbellie and has the typical 5 toed feet of a silkie...feet are mainly black with a tan toe on each foot... also has feathers on legs.

Crossing my fingers for the rest!
    Lisa

7. Lisab

Lisab Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    MA
    So how does one post a picture?

We have 3 hatched now... waiting on the last one. [​IMG]
    I'm so excited! [​IMG]
    These are more silkie than anything. They all have the 5th toe, dark legs, grey, black, and now the last one black with stripes of yellow on its head...too cute!
    Have two in the brooder.

Lisab

8. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Congrats Lisab!
    I only wish I knew the feeling...

Tomorrow is a NEW day.
    And if all doesn't go our way... I've candled my second-ever batch of bantam eggs and ALL 15 are developing finely. May 8th can't get here soon enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by