1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 20! Broody Silkie mom (pic)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jewels1935, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Good afternoon everyone [​IMG] We're on day 20 and I'm So excited! Would I see pips today, or does it just depend? Here is mom doing her thing! I've noticed she's standing up and looking under her legs...maybe she knows it's almost time? Sorry the pic is SO BIG!!! Sorry![​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]

2. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    That is soooo exciting!!! i love silkies!! You might see pips today or you might not see pips till day 25! So yes, it does depend. And yes, she probably is looking under herself to see whats going on!

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    How cool!
    Congratulations on your upcoming cuties! [​IMG]

4. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG] awesome, congrats, and good luck with your hatch!!! your silkie is so pretty!!!

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

hat is awesome...she is so sweet...can't wait to see the chicks with mom...congats...

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Today is Day 20 for my Silkie Mama too!!!! I am leaving on Saturday to go "home" for a visit and I am totally bummed I will be gone during the first couple of days. My house-sitter is great tho, so I trust him to take care of things, but still. What a bummer. I should have planned this better.

7. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Awesome! Lots of November chicks hatching! I hope they all hatch well, and you come back to some adorable peeping cutie pies! Does your Silkie Mama move off the nest to potty? My girl wont! She just sticks her bum far enough OUT the nest, and poos. I even have to leave food and water just about an inch from her face. Stubborn headed!! Must admit, Silkies brood well. Will likely use her to hatch a few duck eggs next Spring:)

8. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Jewels....she won't get off the nest for anything either. This tiime, I have been lifting her off the nest once a day and forcing her to go by waking her up with my foot. She really isn't fond of it, but I am really not fond of gagging while ii scrape nasty broody pooo off the walls of the brooder, her feathers, her eggs etc. She usually sits in the grass comotose until she fiinally flies up with a huge sqwalk, runs a few feet,, spurts out her disgusting poop, then runs for a quick drink and scratch ( I always keep food in front of her) then after abbbout 15 minutes, I throw the net over her and scoop her back up onto the eggs where she happily goes comotose again.

9. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:LOL I totally understand the poo smell, it's horrid!!! I have my girl in my laundry hamper tho', she made her nest outside in a very very bad spot. Plus we've had our neighbors Pit Bull coming over..he killed 2 Rhode Island hens. The neighbors gave us money, and we bought 2 more girls. They also took the dog far away, but now he's back! So, she's inside till it safer.

When I clean the poo from the hamper, she throws a hissy fit worse than any 2 yr old child I've seen...lol She flares out, and she tucks her head..evil silkie mama right now!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  10. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Day 20 here and so far no pips! Im starting to get worried and it isnt even day 21!!! [​IMG]

Im serious I will soo depressed if I dont get at least 1 to hatch! [​IMG]

Keep me updated on your girl! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by