Day 20, Could smell something.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hlf1996, Jul 20, 2011.

1. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    I am on day 20 with 22 (now 21) silkie eggs. I was on my computer (by the incubator) and I could smell something gross. I moved toward the incubator and it got worse. I feared it was a rotten egg. I opened the incubator and WOW the smell was strong. I smelled each each egg and found the culprit, I threw it away. I can still smell an odor coming from the incubator though. Will the smell disipate? I just pulled the egg out a couple minutes ago, I spritzed the eggs also so humidity wouldnt drop. I just dont want an egg to explode, but when I smelled all the others, none of them stunk except the one I threw away. This is my first hatch and I am in lockdown, and I dont want to have to keep opening the incubator. Any help/past experiences greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The smell will most likely stay until the hatch is over and you can clean it out well and disenfect it. if you have one of those little styrobators it make take a real good scrubbing to rid it of the smell.

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    You did the right thing. Now just sit back and watch those babies hatch! After the hatch a good cleaning and some sunlight will pretty much take care of the smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by