Day 20 ends at noon today

ok1242

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Okie living in CA
Sorry to repeat the same topic that everyone asks about. This is the end of day 20 for my 38 eggs. The humidity is just under 60%. Should I add more water, or let it be? Also, I do not see and eggs moving. Does that always happen? I am nervous that there is a problem and I wish I had a way to gauge that everything is fine. Any advice?

Humidity is not as important as the temp. If you want to add more water I would do it now and then not open the bator again. It can take a while for the eggs to hatch, you are still doing good. I leave mine running thru the end of day 23, some chickies are late to come out. Best advise I can give you is to get out of the house for a while and then come back and see what is going on.

I agree with what Adam said...especially the part about getting out of the house!! It's always kind of nice when I have such a busy day when I've got chicks hatching.....makes the time go faster and cuts down on the urge to open the hatcher up!!

Add a wet sponge to the side of the bator and see if you can boost the humidity to 70%. After that close it and don't open it. Sit on your hands. This is the hard part. I am not even going to say try to stay busy because I can't do that myself. I hover and look all the time!

Did you candle your eggs any time lately? Did you see movement?

Good luck!

Katy I agree. I always schedule my hatches to happen when I have to work at night so I come home from my day job for a few hours and check on the bator and the go to work. I walk in the house (most of the time forgetting that I have a hatch going on) and I here PEEPS! I love it.

I candled them on Saturday, when I took out the egg turner. But I have never done this before, so I did not know what I was looking at. I just knew enough to take out the empty ones. Should they be pipping by now, or when would you think that might happen? This is in a 3rd grade class of 30 kids and they are all looking at me for answers, and I am starting to get scared!

You will just have to wait. I know that is the meanest non helpful thing to say at this point but there is nothing else you can do but wait. You may need to prepare you class for the reality that sometimes, thru no fault of ours they just do not hatch. But you are still OK! I have had eggs pip at day 22 and come out at day 23 so don't panic.

Last edited:
We've had one pip (if that means cracked shell) and we can hear chirping. I am happy! Thanks for your help. I am going to add sponges - the humidity is at 60%.

Back
Top Bottom