day 20, first timer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by midoris, Jan 3, 2008.

1. midoris

midoris Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Hi, I'm new here and I'm hatching eggs for the first time.

We've got 10 in the bator and I can see movement in the 2 I candled today. I know I should just leave them alone, but no peeps or rocking had me worried... Somehow I can't believe we're actually going to have chicks in the next couple of days! I feel silly being so excited over a project I started for my 9 year old.

2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    [​IMG] ur gona be a hatchaholic lol

oh yeah welcome to the board

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  3. midoris

Jan 3, 2008
    I've actually spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out how to set up a webcam. My brother is only in town until Saturday, so we have to go be sociable. But the EGGS are supposed to be HATCHING tomorrow! I'm a terrible sister, aren't I...

I think I can do it, and then I can have my hatch and my brother too

4. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Not a terrible sister. I felt the same way when I had to go visit family on day 18-19. On a good note I wasn't messing with the incubator while I was gone. [​IMG]

Welcome to the hatching club...I mean BYC! [​IMG]

Tonya

5. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I just had my first hatch the weekend before Christmas, I was a nervous wreck too! I had to go out of state for a family Christmas the day they were due, but luckily they had started to come early and I had a friend who we call the "chicken rancher" come and check them twice. When I left I had 1 that had pipped but nothing for hours. I had read to leave them alone, so I did. When she came to check the second time she cracked him out. it was so dried out that it has a bad leg, but if I had been the one home I don't think it would have made it. So I'm glad I had to go out of town. I call that one gimp, but it gets around fine.
    Oh, the "Chicken Rancher" has never incubated eggs, no experience at all with hatching. [​IMG]

6. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Good luck on your hatch. Before you know it you will have fluffy butts running all over the inside of your bator. [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Bet of luck - what are you hatching? We all look forward to seeing pics!! Oh, welcome to BYC!

8. midoris

Jan 3, 2008
    we got a dozen silkie eggs off of ebay and 10 of them seem to be on track for hatching!
    I'm a little concerned about the air cells being very different sizes, I tried to ensure the humidity was right, but some of the cells are way too small while others seem a little large. I'm already daydreaming about upgrading the bator with forced air and an automatic turner... arg

9. midoris

Jan 3, 2008
    this is the picture my daughter and I have been watching for the last couple of hours...
    [​IMG]

if it wasn't for the tapping noise I'd swear it was just a static picture instead of a web cam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by