day 20. going insane!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dzwina, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Dzwina

Dzwina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    I am on day 20 with my three silkie eggs. All candled well during the first 18 days. But I have seen no hint of hatching so far. This is worse then waiting on my own son that's due January 28th! My boyfriend thinks I'm going crazy!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Trust me, I understand. It can be stressful.

To make it even worse, they don't always hatch at 21 days. There are many different things that can cause them to be two or three days early or late, heredity, humidity, how and how long they are stored before you start, even egg size can affect it. The big one is average temperature. I've had mine pipping when I went into lockdown until I finally got the temperature adjusted right. If it is too cool, they can be that much late.

Some people get confused on counting the days too. An easy way to look at it is that the day of the week you started them is the day of the week chicken eggs should hatch. If you started them on a Friday, they should hatch on a Friday.

All I can say is good luck. If the candling looked good, you should be OK.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I agree with Ridgerunner, I've had chicks hatch on day 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 25. They're going to come when they're ready.

Congrats on the baby! And btw my son was due mid August (2006), he was born July 20th.... [​IMG]

4. Dzwina

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks for the words! This is my first time hatching. I'm a little tense lol they are local eggs, two where played two days before being set. One was layer that morning. So I'm hoping that's in my favor.

5. Good luck!

6. Dzwina

Apr 1, 2011
    Omg one pipped!!! Now more waiting

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hope it goes well and they all hatch out fine [​IMG]

8. It's addicting to hatch! I just hatched out 1 quail and 2 mallards!

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I love quail chicks! They are so impossibly tiny. Congrats!

10. Thanks! He actually just died about an hour ago... He didn't have splayed legs... They curled around up to his face ;(

One of my mallards doesn't have a foot! Just on leg! Crazy thing! He hops around like a kangaroo! Lol! I hate this new incubator! All my birds feet have been screwed up! This incubator has a mind of its own... It will spike temps when it wants and drop temps when it wants!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by