Day 20. Hatch questions.

BBloves

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
No movement, no noise. Should I be worried? I added some water for humidity this morning, it's staying around 60 - 65%. I've never seen egg movement except one egg on lockdown day. So nervous. Thanks

No movement, no noise. Should I be worried? I added some water for humidity this morning, it's staying around 60 - 65%. I've never seen egg movement except one egg on lockdown day. So nervous. Thanks

This is the nerve wracking part of incubating. But it is the sleeping period for the babies. They are already in position and they are resting up for the big event. Sometimes I will hear peeping after they pip but not always. Just like people, some like to talk and some don't!
big_smile.png

Your humidity is perfect.

Last edited:
Red Horse ranch, you NAILED it, I am so nervous. I guess because my first hatching and I just don't know what to expect. The good news is just checked on them and 1 of my eggs were shaking. Life!!!!! So I guess I just need to have patience. Thank you for your reply.

Red Horse ranch, you NAILED it, I am so nervous. I guess because my first hatching and I just don't know what to expect. The good news is just checked on them and 1 of my eggs were shaking. Life!!!!! So I guess I just need to have patience. Thank you for your reply.

Try not to worry too much if you can! lol. It will work out.
smile.png

I was nervous also a week ago, when our BCM eggs were on day 21. No noise, pips, movements, nothing! Nerve wracking. But, that evening, one chick made quick work of pipping and zipping, and emerging out of its egg, and softly, happily chirping. By the next afternoon, there were 7. Two days later, 14... but one died in the brooder- after seeming normal, so 13 chicks early on Day 25. Most of these guys were quiet, only soft, happy sounding cheeps.

Late on day 26, when we were emptying the incubator brooder box of later chicks to the brooder, and removing (what we assumed) infertile or early quitter eggs to do eggtopsies... we discovered three eggs facing the corner pipping and zipping late! Their beaks were through the shells, shells cracking, and they began chirping when they saw me. That was a surprise!

We closed the incubator up fast. However, I believe too much humidity had escaped by that time, and made those membrane stick to the chicks.
hmm.png

After another day and a half, we could tell the incubating chicks were weakening, so we helped them out. Discovered they were completely glued to their membranes, so we got to them in time, luckily- there wouldn't been no way to get out on their own, but not from genetics. We quickly cleaned them, gave a bit of water with a dropper and popped back in the incubator.

Yesterday they were all on their side, resting, but this morning two of them had fluffed up a bit and were walking and took a bit of water. The third is still on his side and looks may not make it.
sad.png
These guys are much behind the others in development, who look like tiny penguins. lol Still generally pretty quiet- NOTHING like our RIR who were always robust, noisy, busy and talkative from day 1.

Good luck on your hatch!!!

I had my first chick hatch a couple of hours ago and have been terrified since lockdown! I saw no rocking until he was hatching and heard no sound until his head was free. Good luck xx

Try not to worry too much if you can! lol. It will work out.
smile.png

I was nervous also a week ago, when our BCM eggs were on day 21. No noise, pips, movements, nothing! Nerve wracking. But, that evening, one chick made quick work of pipping and zipping, and emerging out of its egg, and softly, happily chirping. By the next afternoon, there were 7. Two days later, 14... but one died in the brooder- after seeming normal, so 13 chicks early on Day 25. Most of these guys were quiet, only soft, happy sounding cheeps.

Late on day 26, when we were emptying the incubator brooder box of later chicks to the brooder, and removing (what we assumed) infertile or early quitter eggs to do eggtopsies... we discovered three eggs facing the corner pipping and zipping late! Their beaks were through the shells, shells cracking, and they began chirping when they saw me. That was a surprise!

We closed the incubator up fast. However, I believe too much humidity had escaped by that time, and made those membrane stick to the chicks.
hmm.png

After another day and a half, we could tell the incubating chicks were weakening, so we helped them out. Discovered they were completely glued to their membranes, so we got to them in time, luckily- there wouldn't been no way to get out on their own, but not from genetics. We quickly cleaned them, gave a bit of water with a dropper and popped back in the incubator.

Yesterday they were all on their side, resting, but this morning two of them had fluffed up a bit and were walking and took a bit of water. The third is still on his side and looks may not make it.
sad.png
These guys are much behind the others in development, who look like tiny penguins. lol Still generally pretty quiet- NOTHING like our RIR who were always robust, noisy, busy and talkative from day 1.

Good luck on your hatch!!!

is it normal for chicks to hatch past due date i'm in the 21st day and no movements.

Been there, done that! But you have a chick!
thumbsup.gif
I was hoping I'd be able to sleep tonight. ..my incubator died halfway through 6 eggs, killed 4 of them, I've had an old aquarium rigged up with a bulb, dimmer switch, insulation, rocks, a few prayers and a lot of luck the last week or so!! That homemade bator hasn't swung more than 0.3°c either side of the temp, but I couldn't settle, I felt enough was against those 2 remaining eggs so set it up in the lounge so I could watch the thermometer in the day and slept on the sofa at nights to check on it!! It's 1am here and the other egg needs to pip so I know he's ok too!! eta despite this being my first hatch and everything going wrong, seeing that babys beak then a few hours later kick that shell off was the most amazing thing!! Recipe ingredient to fluffy chick in 21 days, I don't think I'll ever get over that!!

Last edited:
Polkadots, is that Australorps you have? So day 20 is coming to an end and I only saw two of my six eggs shake a little today. Tomorrow is day 21, I hope I wake up to some action!

Polkadots, is that Australorps you have? So day 20 is coming to an end and I only saw two of my six eggs shake a little today. Tomorrow is day 21, I hope I wake up to some action!

I have no idea what she is lol! I've been meaning to post a good pic of her to see if anyone has any idea what she is. I'm a totally accidental owner, ended up taking on Polkadot (my profile pic) spotty, a black hen with a gold head/neck, and Dotty, an ex batt who's absolute amazement at the things we take for granted that chickens experience (her first sighting of a butterfly was hilarious!) chokes me up at times. I didn't realise they were such characters, I just couldn't bear the thought of the alternative and figured in return for a sack of food I'd get a few eggs! I think they're amazing, every home should have hens!!

I really hope you've got some cheeps to wake up to!!

Back
Top Bottom