Day 20 Hatching Chicken Eggs

CrazyNes

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2023
Hi all!

I am new to hatching and raising chickens. I recently purchased 10 American Bresse eggs from a local hatchery that works with local elementary schools on their embryo projects. I have a Janoel 12 incubator and I purchased some cheap thermometers to measure humidity. So this could have been a rookie mistake but I started looking for pipping on day 20. Today at 3pm will be the start of day 21 and so far I have 1 pip! I see no activity with the other 9 eggs but I did candle them before lockdown and they all looked good. I made sure the temp on Janoel was 38 degree celcius all throughout. Then today as I started to freak out because only 1 chick pipped, I noticed the temp on the cheap thermometer I have inside incubator said 95 degrees. Now of course I'm freaking out thinking I may have just killed all my eggs because I didn't run the temp test before placing eggs. I am not sure which temp is off, my incubator or my thermometer. I do have 1 chick that pipped overnight. Nothing from the other 9. Are my chicks ruined? If the temp was low and they do hatch, will they be deformed?

Ok awesome! I'm scared I may have doomed them. I don't know which temp is right but so far that 1st one seems to be on time. All other post say low Temps cause delayed hatches and deformation. So just freaking out a bit.

Having one pip is evidence that your temperature was on target. If it was a little low then a few might hatch later, if that is the case you just have to be patient a bit longer.

Phew. I won't lie, these last 3 days have been horrible lol. These chicks are supposed to be for the kids but it has turned into a family waiting game. We even slept in the living room yesterday to listen for cheeping lol. I feel like a kid waiting for it to be Christmas. I do plan ok buying a new incubator though for the next batch. I got the Janoel on offer up for 20 bucks. Then I saw the reviews and it isn't great.

For reference.

Attachments

• 20230326_180926.jpg
    20230326_180926.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230326_180936.jpg
    20230326_180936.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230326_181003.jpg
    20230326_181003.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 12
Chick has been like that for 16 hours. I hear him chirping inside. I can see the beak poking out and opening and closing likes he's trying to chew the egg. No progress made by the chick. When should we assist? Also I have 9 other eggs. One other has pipped and looks similar to this one. The others are still intact. All looked good before lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom