1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 20 help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlady622, Apr 4, 2017.

1. chickenlady622

chickenlady622 Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    Virginia
    Back again everyone. So I've got 8 bantam eggs in the incubator. First strike, the postman did not heed the giant "HATCHING EGGS" written all over the freaking package, and left them out for between 1-4 hours on my porch in 30ish degree weather. I got them in the incubator and on day 11 my son had a birthday party with a squad of rowdy 3rd graders. 5 out of 8 eggs damaged but no leaking. I used nail polish to seal all the cracks. Locked down yesterday (19) and almost immediately had a pip. It's been 24 hours and no great progress. Hubby saw movement and we hear chirping intermittently. Should I be worried?

2. MallardMamma

MallardMamma Just Hatched

Apr 4, 2017
    No not at all. The noises and movement is great. Leave them be. They may pip a day or two before hatching. They do that to let more oxygen in when they have used all the air in the little air sack. I just had one pip a couple of weeks ago and it took him about two days to hatch after that.

3. chickenlady622

chickenlady622 Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    Virginia
    Thank you! It hatched about 9am today! Still no sign of movement from the rest of the eggs, but fingers are crossed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by