Day 20 moving along..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lanissa86, May 15, 2008.

1. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I placed my eggs in cartons and added water, but its been 2 hours and the temp has not gone back to its original 99.5, Its hanging around 97.8. and the humidity has not even gone up past 65%! What do I do now? Do I need to add more water? I think I filled the water reservoirs up. Its late, and I do not want to go to sleep until I get everything right! Thanks for any help.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    What bater are you using? I've found with mine (Little Giant still air) that when it's time to up the humidity I also have to up the temp control to keep at 99.5. I have to add a bowl of water and a sponge as well as filling all the reservoirs to get the humidity up where it needs to be.

Hope this helps.

Jess

3. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I am using a Hova-bator Forced air, I think 1620N? I have been turning by hand 3 times a day and stopped turning on day 18, placed the eggs in cartons and filled all the water reservoirs. Since then, I have added 2 warm soaked paper towels and a warmly soaked maxi pad (heard they were good on another post somewhere). Its well into Day 19 and the temps have not gone back to their normal 99.5-99.8! Its been at like 97.8-98.6. I am worried! And my humidity STILL has not risen over 69%! It just STAYS THERE! What do I do now? Vent holes are covered to see if that helped the humidity but nothing! I am worrid sick! [​IMG] I think I finally got the temp ok. But had to turn my dial on the incubator, why would my temp vary so much? Did adding the Egg cartons make THAT big of a difference? [​IMG] Well I am [​IMG] and hoping for some [​IMG] soon! Hope I didn't screw it ALL up! [​IMG] I guess I will wait and see what you Eggsperts say and keep looking at the bator.... [​IMG]

4. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    OH MY! I think my Little Polish Egg has a TINY pip!! I see the pinpoint hold and looks to be getting bigger from when I first spotted it! It looks like its in the middle area of the egg! Is that too low or does it sound right? sorry for being annoying and freaking out! I just never done this before and I REALLY want one of these guys to make it! I hope all 14 do! [​IMG]

5. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    just see if it hatches safely.

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Good luck, and keep us posted! I'm on my first hatch too, day 17.

7. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I sure will keep everyone posted! I think I finally got everything to level out. Is 74% humidity good enough? I hear its supposed to be 80%? [​IMG]

8. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Lanissa....just leave it alone. 70-ish% humidity should be fine. I have found that the more you monkey with things, the more damage you end up causing. (Also...an interesting note: if the humidity gets too high, the chicks can actually drown inside the shell when they internally pip due to condensation on the inside of the shell). If it makes you feel any better, I had a really weird thing happen just today...I am on day 18 and getting ready to move eggs from the incubator with the turner to the hatcher and I hear PEEPING from the incubator. For whatever reason, ONE egg hatched and the little guy was completely out, climbed over a whole rack of eggs and was sitting in the middle of the incubator. I was shocked. So, continuous turning, I don't have a hygrometer...just keep my reservoirs filled, plus many obstacles and they still manage to hatch : ) Anyway, try not to worry...I know it is hard. Good luck!

Leah

9. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks Leah! I have left it alone and stopped tinkering with it. I am now just hoping for the best. [​IMG] Congrats on your early bird! I bet that was So exciting to see! [​IMG]

10. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I have 3 pips so far! the first one (my polish bantam) has not made any progress! [​IMG] I am so worried about it I hear lots of peeping coming from the bator, but not sure which eggs are making all the noise. My second pip is on a roll! In just a few hours it has made a bigger hole and looks like it will zip soon! [​IMG] Can't wait to see what happens next! Come on chicks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by