Day 20 of my first attempt at Hatching Button Quail..help?

motormom

Hatching
Feb 27, 2017
I started a hatch of 24 shipped eggs and am now on day 20. I let the eggs sit for 24 hrs prior to putting them in the incubator. It is forced air and the temp and humidity have been pretty consistent. I had an automatic turner which I stopped on day 15, and set the eggs in the bottom. During the night on day 16, one hatched but I found it dead in the morning. It looked ok to me. Since then, nothing. The issues that I know occurred while incubating were our power going out for two days on days 12 and 13, but we had a generator run the incubator the entire time except for about 10 minutes to get it set up and I knocked the incubator two or three times on day 14, which caused the eggs to roll on the bottom a bit. My questions (and feel free to give anymore advice please!) are, why would the one hatch on time and what are possible causes of death? It didn't look like it ever stood up and it was still wet (air vents were open) and should I wait longer to see if the others hatch? Thank you!'

Last edited:
Well l don't hatch quail well l did it once but that was a year or two ago. So you say one hatched on time but no others have that's not a great sing, but does not mean there is not a chance. I once put 150 eggs in the incubator one hatched on day 21 the rest not till day 26 so you still got a chance. Do you have a candler if so candle some of the eggs and see if they are still moving if they are do not give up.

Thank you. I will try to candle them, but the shells are so dark, I haven't had much luck. I did pick one up (which I probably shouldn't have) on day 16 and I could hear it

Oh that is pretty cool you could hear it, l do not think it is too big of a problem to pick it up if the candling does not work you could see if you could hear something

[/IMG][/IMG]

I kept the humidity between 50 and 60% for the first 13 days and then upped it to 60 on the 16th day. I candled 6 and saw none were moving. I opened them and they're all in varying stages of development with one egg not fertile. The fully developed one looked like I could have been shrink wrapped. I'm not sure though because this is my first experience

Out of 24, I had the one hatch and die, one fully formed and didn't hatch and this one. I'm going to try again, but any tips would be very appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom