1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

day 20 on 15 eggs, only one live one! *******UPDATE!!!!!!!*******

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mahabharat, Jul 23, 2010.

1. mahabharat

mahabharat In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    virginia
    i'm on day 20 with 15 eggs in the little giant with egg turner. seems that only one might be alive... i'm a bit rusty on the hatching thing. haven't done it in a while. this is my first batch since i became a parent and the little kids are so excited to see something hatch...

how long should i let these eggs go before ditching? wondering what might have gone wrong this time. in the past, i never worried about humidity, etc, and had too many to count (can one ever really have too many chickens?!?!) [​IMG]

nice to meet y'all.

ralph

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010

2. turningchicken

turningchicken Chirping

Jun 8, 2010
    None of mine even started to hatch until day 21 and I had almost given up on them. Hang in there.

3. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Songster

Jul 4, 2009
    They are do to hatch until 21 days. I always give them 2 days after that to hatch then pitch them. You might have some late arrivals. Good Luck [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mahabharat

Jul 22, 2010
    virginia
    thanks, all. good to know and i will stop agonizing. at least for today. [​IMG]

ralph

5. orionburn

orionburn Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Just to be clear, you aren't using the turner any longer are you?

6. mahabharat

Jul 22, 2010
    virginia
    nate, stopped the turner on day 18 - got that info from here, is that right? increased humidity, too on that day...

7. puredelite

puredelite Songster

I'm with you Ralph, put 20 eggs in my LG w/ egg turner and only hatched 2 chicks. These were shipped eggs so who knows what torture they endured at the not so gentle hands of the USPS! So... was gracially sent 40(!) more eggs and have not candled them yet. Like you I really never worried bout things like humidity levels and always had good hatches, one time even after the egg turner motor burned up half-way through the incubation period and they didn't get turned much at all after that. Be careful to not let any eggs begin to rot and start leaking gas as it will poison the rest of the eggs. By my experience shipped eggs never hatch as well as home-grown ones. Best of luck![​IMG]

8. mahabharat

Jul 22, 2010
    virginia
    PIPS X 2!!!! and loud "cheeping" from one of them! stay tuned! film at 11! (not really. [​IMG] )

9. Go chickies! [​IMG]

10. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Woohoo!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by