Day 20 - Power just went out ... LOL

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peskychicken, Dec 28, 2009.

1. peskychicken

peskychicken New Egg

Nov 11, 2009
    I hope the power comes back on soon. I have the incubator sealed off with three blankets over top. If you have any other suggestion on how to keep them warm please let me know.

Only 1 hr and 51 min of laptop battery left ...

The kids are loving this ... me not so much.

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    if you got a fire place i suggest getting it close to that if you can burn wood

3. chickenmamalp

chickenmamalp Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard of running the bator off your car battery!

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

IF you can heat water...........,

you might be able to maintain temperature in some manner with the heated water.

just "brain-storming" it.
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    you could keep the eggs warm under your shirt, lol. hope your heat goes on soon.

6. peskychicken

peskychicken New Egg

Nov 11, 2009
    I've moved the incubator to beside the woodstove - still covered with blankets. The temp had droped to 82.8F after the move. We heard chirping while we moved the incubator up the stairs. I've stoked the fire .. the room is now up to 77.7F ... we're starting to sweat but the eggs should be good.

Still no power obviously.

Updates to follow ...

7. peskychicken

peskychicken New Egg

Nov 11, 2009
    The incubator droped about a degree but has bounced back to about 83F. The room temp is just below 80F. I hope the power comes back on soon. The kids are having soooo much fun and I hope the chicks pull through because we're creating an amazying memory.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I was going to suggest the emergency boobie bator...lol

9. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    do you or anyone you know have a computer backup battery or APU? you can save your bator that way..

10. peskychicken

peskychicken New Egg

Nov 11, 2009
    The power just came back on about 10 mins ago. The bator is back on warming back up. I'm crossing my fingers that the power stays on.

Wow, that was wild. Thanks for all the advice ... putting the bator next to the woodstove worked well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by